Linguaholic

Meme changing the way we express ourselves over the internet

The power of the collective conscious of the Internet is increasingly being reflected in memes. A day cannot go by without seeing a post on Facebook or a tweet from Twitter that express their status in a form of meme. These ideas or styles, which can take the form of anything from an image to a misspelt word, spread from person to person in the online world all across the globe, with a lot of them eventually reflected in images with text (though that may not be the case all the time). The internet is an amazing medium for languages, and online you show how brilliant you are by manipulating the language of the internet.

I mean really, this is so rampant that I'm pretty sure you have already encountered an internet meme at least once. If you are one of the oblivious few who only learned about internet meme after reading this post then

e7dfcee10f67565e6c4ef94b75cd14b22a72f5db0ea4aca09bf1056626ad4e6d.jpg

So what are your thoughts on internet memes?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Haha tell me about it. It does happen when people use internet meme in real life conversations. I remember I overheard some guys who are arguing, and the guy who kinda lost the argument said "Ok you have a point there, I lost. But my jimmies remain unrustled!". I know it was reference to the Rustled My Jimmies meme, but never in my wildest dream could I have imagined it can be used in real life conversation.  :laugh:

I'm usually quite resistant to memes (I find the vast majority of them unfunny), but I find the doge meme hysterical and very contageous. Once a person uses it (even in real life, not just on the Internet) I just feel the urge to "speak doge", you know?

By the way, doge meme has its Polish version. I think it's interesting from the linguistics point of view, since it requires a specific sentence (well, it's not really a sentence, but I'm lacking a better word) structure to be created, and it's kinda different from the English version. Truly a proof that the languages are always evolving!

Wow, such meme. Much funny. = Mem taki zabawny, wow.

I was expecting some meme-bashing here. I'm glad that's not the case! I also think memes is a creative way of communicating. It's like an inside joke that people on the internet get. In a way, it bonds people together because they find a common ground. Something relatable and non-offensive (well, most of the time) that will give you a chuckle at the same time.

Catchphrases, recurring colloquialisms, and slogans have all been around for a long time. When people are a part of the social pulse, it's no surprise that they make references. "Memes" in their current definition are the manifestation of the internet's prowess at exchanging information, such that people who have access to that kind of culture (like a movie quote or a line from a song) will be able to speak it, share it, and understand/identify with those who know it as well. It hasn't changed how we interact in this manner, if anything the internet is just the catalyst to this social phenomenon.

There are a lot of sites about internet memes. 9gag.com is a popular one. If you need to know the history and information about memes then knowyourmeme.com is the place to go.

You can visit several meme and imageboard sites, but I would advice you to refrain from visiting 4chan. It is said to be the catalyst of all these memes, but for someone who isn't exposed to this stuff, I'm not sure if you can handle that kind of community.

I agree. I think these things are helping us along in developing us further in terms of universal communication. I know a lot of countries have their own versions of these, and that just adds even more to the things we have in common and thus giving us more reasons to relate to each other. Additionally, communicating in pictures is very effective too, I think.

I love memes, it's such a great way to express something when words just don't cut it. Some are done so well that it's become some form of internet art. Not helped by the fact that most of them are so funny. This is one thing I don't mind spawned from internet.