Linguaholic

Some Typical Russian Words

Katrink

When learning foreign language, it is important to understand mentality of people and even history of some words. In this post I want to offer definition of some Russian words, which possibly do not have equivalents in other languages. If you hear a word, but can not understand its meaning, try to guess it from the context or even grammar structure. I have selected just some words, which are typical for Russian language.

So review meaning of “Russian” words.

Авось (Avos´) – used as parenthetical word. Can be translated like “Maybe”.  Definition: Hope for something.

Example: Авось не опоздаем. (Avos´ ne opozdaem) Maybe we will not be late. Frankly speaking this word is not used very often in every day speech, but sometimes it can be heard, especially when a person wants to emphasis something.

Ясен пень! (Âsen pen´) This phrase can be translated as: Surely!, It stands to reason, That's cake.  Sometimes can be used in spoken language humorously.

Чадо (Čado) – This word means a son or a daughter under 12 years old. It is old word, but in modern language it is also can be used as a playful word. Nowadays it denotes a dependent child, who often uses help of parents. 

Юшка (Ûška) – is old word for a soup. Surely, we do not use this word today. But in some Russian restaurants you are very likely to meet this word in menu.

С прибабахом (S pribabahom). Here are some equivalents in English language: bug, batshit crazy, nuts, bananas, a little bit touched and so on. We use this word in spoken language, when we want to describe inadequate person.

Аляповатый (Alâpovatyj) – means fussy, garish, gaudy, crudely fashioned, cheap-looking. This word can be referred to a person, who is absolutely tasteless. Or else, when something was done clumsy and so on. 

Дремучий (Dremučij)– this word was used to describe a very thick wood. Nowadays, we can say  about uneducated person. This word is quite specific, because if to say about a person Дремучий, so he or she may take it as offence.

Concluding, this post you have to be very attentive with such “Russian words”. If you are not sure in exact meaning of the word so it is better not to use it at all or replace it with synonyms.

Have a nice days and have fun learning Russian!

Hi,

Nice list of words!

One of my favourite one is:

Без царя в голове - pronounced "bez tzarja v golove" -  can be literally translated as "without a tzar in one's head" :) As if we need one in there! :) kidding.

This is said about someone demonstrating reckless behavour, "acting first - thinking later" type of person.

There surely are other similar words/short phrazes. Do you know any? I'll try to make my own list of them next time.

See you!