Linguaholic

Where do you like to study?

Hedonologist

Personally I prefer in my house, using on the sofa or at a desk. For some reason I cannot stand learning in the library, or any other public place. I'm not sure why but I generally need solitude. I can learn with 1 or two other people but certainly not with many more in the room. I suppose I've also been an auto math and that's just the way it is.

I am definitely like you. I study better at home where I can be comfortable. But not in my room where I will doze off for sure. Lol! So I prefer studying on a table sitting on an ergo chair. I have back problems so I need an adjustable chair.

I can't study well with a big group, say a class. I can absorb but not as fast as when I'm alone or just with a small group. Mostly though, I like to process things alone. I easily get distracted so I'd rather study on my own. I can chat and chat which is not good when you want to learn.

I like studying alone usually in my room or in the library, rare occasions in the library though. I like having my own space, that way I can focus more. Studying in the garden is nice too but with the unpredictable weather here, it’s not a good idea. The best place for me to study is in my room where I can play relaxing instrumental music while I learn.

I prefer to study at home, especially at night time when everything is quiet and everyone is asleep. I can concentrate well with a normal amount of noise around me, as long as I don't get constantly disturbed.

I like to sit at my table by the open window, with plenty of light and fresh air to keep alert. Oh yes, not to forget the big cup of coffee with soy milk and cinnamon. :)

During high school, I would study and do my homework on my bed. I know you're not suppose to study on your bed, but it was the only place in my house where I could study in peace. Right now in college, though, I'm studying a lot more in the library. It's usually loud in my dorm, so I usually spend hours in the library doing papers or reading. It's nice and quiet, too, so I end up staying in the library for hours at a time without realizing it!

If I have to study alone, I always prefer to do it inside my room. I feel more focused and I can concentrate more when there's less noise and distraction. And in my case, my bedroom would be the best place to go for. It's very quiet and relaxing. But it can get too relaxing, because I tend to fall asleep sometimes!

Studied in one of two place in college: Either my room or the private rooms in the library. Depends on my study method. If I was doing oral recall, I'd do that in my room. No need to be told to be quiet in my own space. If it was the library, it would be a group silence study or group remembering exercise to put together better ways of knowing words, characters and phrases.

I like studying in the most quite place. The interesting part about the library in my nearest town is that it is never completely quite. I get distracted when people walk in or move their seats. I am currently living in a house that has very thin walls, the radio has to be on for me to concentrate when I write or read anything. I yearn for a quite place.

When I was younger I needed noise all the time. I would study (and sleep) with headphones on. I can't do that now. I need absolute quiet to let the information sink in. For that reason I like to study right where I am sitting now, at the computer desk. It is my own space, and I can shut the door to the outside world.

I love studying in my little office. Every tool and resource I may need in right here.

Since my office is in my basement, I can also complete a load of laundry. Additionally, I have a telephone, and television down here as well.

I'm not very choosy when it comes to place for study. I can perfectly study in a quiet place. But I also don't have problems studying with a little bit of noise around. I got used to our library where people have group discussions. So such kind of noise don't bother me when studying. I, however, will have to be alone. For some reason, I doing group study doesn't sit well with me. Interestingly also I can't concentrate if there's music in the background. I usually end up paying attention to the music more than the material I am studying. Music serves as a distraction to me. So, no music if possible.

I prefer to study at home as well, most of the time but I don't have one dedicated spot that I stick to all the time. Sometimes I'm in my living room, bedroom (bed or desk) or even the kitchen, I like going up to our apartment's rooftop terrace to study as well. Occasionally I'll study in a library or a coffee shop.

I am one of those people that needs a lot of quiet in order to concentrate so a nice quiet room in my house suits me just fine. I have never quite understood how people can go to places like coffee shops when they are studying or listening to music. It is way too distracting for me, especially if I am learning a concept that is completely new to me.

• 2 months later...

I find it very relaxing when I study on my bed while lying down.  I would listen to my audio lessons and then read the book at the same time.  I find it to be quite effective because then I don't get disturbed by the discomfort that I feel when sitting on my desk chair for a long time.  Also, it helps me really stick to my goal of studying a new language at least 30 minutes each day because I just do it right before I sleep.

I'm not that fussed, to be honest. As long as it's quiet and I have a comfy spot, I'm happy to study. It could be in my home office, on the couch, the park or the library; I don't mind. Plus I like to switch it up, too.

Lately I've been doing it in the bed, but am starting to think the desk would be a better place for that. I'd never stop doing it in my room tho, it's the only place where I can do almost everything i want without being interrupted :)  That includes studying a language and watching a movie ;)  The rest of the house is so busy and full of distractions (ie: chatty people).

I study my lessons mostly at home where I can be alone and quiet, but at the same time comfortable and be able to do what I want; e.g. eating, or taking a power nap. I don't study that long too, maybe 40 minutes is my longest time. If I study too long, my mind wanders off to different things already. That 40 minutes of study already includes grammar and vocabulary. For reading and listening, I prefer to do it leisurely, like watching a film or reading articles about something that really interests me; my mind tends to absorb more things that way.

I like to study in quiet places mostly but it shouldn't be extremely quiet as I turn to loose focus when that is the case. I enjoy studying with some background music as well as it relaxes my mind and gets me more focus for some reason.

I suppose then that my ideal study place would have to be semi quite and semi loud!

If I want to learn to pronounce a language, I want to study in a place where I can listen to, speak along with, and repeat either a recording or a teacher.

If I merely want to read information about a language or anything else, almost any place will do, but the most efficient place for me is at the computer. Typing material into a computer file helps me remember it better.

I prefer studying alone and in a quiet room with good lighting. I don't study so well with others because one of us will tend to get off topic or fool around. I don't listen to music while studying also because I'm a music-lover and I tend to focus deeply on the music, the lyrics and the beats rather than studying.

Whenever I try to study with music playing or with other people talking, it never works for me because I tend to just hear the lyrics or the conversations and it ends up just mixing with the words I'm reading out in my mind. I know lots of people who are great at just focusing on the text but I myself never was that good at multitasking.