Linguaholic

Is it "ThousandS of documents" or "Thousand of documents"?

CeliVega

Grammar has never been my strong point but well. . .

I'd say the first statement is correct because. . .heck it sounds correct. Documents can be numbered. So if they are many, quite obviously you need to balance the equation.

Hundreds of documents.

Millions of stars.

Thousands of dollars.

Flocks of sheep.

Like I said my explanation could be lame. . .

Thousands of documents does indeed sound right so I'd go with thousands of documents too. Thousand of documents sounds off when read. Thousands in this would mean that the number of documents is somewhere in the thousands and not a definite figure.

I'd say the first statement is correct because. . .heck it sounds correct. Documents can be numbered. So if they are many, quite obviously you need to balance the equation.

Thousands of documents does indeed sound right so I'd go with thousands of documents too. Thousand of documents sounds off when read. Thousands in this would mean that the number of documents is somewhere in the thousands and not a definite figure.

I would say the first one is correct. Because if you are going to use the 2nd one, I think it has to be "A thousand documents." You need to add the "A" at the beginning.

Alright, thousands of documents then! Thanks everyone!

It's "thousandS of documents" because the statement is saying there are literally more than 1 thousand documents. Could be two thousand, could be ten thousand. But more than one thousand would need the plural S.

Anything that is ____ of something is a plural. (Millions of years, skeins of yarn, miles of road)

Anything that is A ___ of something is singular (A flock of sheep, A handful of flowers)

It's "thousandS of documents" because the statement is saying there are literally more than 1 thousand documents. Could be two thousand, could be ten thousand. But more than one thousand would need the plural S.

Anything that is ____ of something is a plural. (Millions of years, skeins of yarn, miles of road)

Anything that is A ___ of something is singular (A flock of sheep, A handful of flowers)

Now this clears a lot of things up. Anything that is "____ of something" is a plural, and anything that is "A _____ of something" is singular. Thanks a lot!

I agree with all the posts here. I know, I shouldn't post anymore since it seems this has been resolved. I just figured I'd add to the consensus just to strengthen the point. So yes, "A thousand documents" or "Thousands of documents" would be correct.

I agree with most post in this thread; "Thousands" sounds the most correct in this situation.

"Thousand" could be used if we were talking about actually one thousand (1000) documents. But in that case I would lose the "of" and only say "thousand documents".

However I think you want to say thousands as in several thousand in this case.