Linguaholic

"Murder" idioms

Denis Hard

One of the most unlikely words to be used in an idiom but well. . .take a look:

Scream blue murder - yell loudly [as though you're getting killed].

. . .murder on something - very bad for something.

Unfortunately I know only those two. . .so guys, any more of them?                                   

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Well, I am not sure about it but I think I heard people saying things like: "This beat is murder", meaning that this beat is really great/good. I wonder if other people can actually confirm this use of 'murder' or not.

Well, I am not sure about it but I think I heard people saying things like: "This beat is murder", meaning that this beat is really great/good. I wonder if other people can actually confirm this use of 'murder' or not.

That's a new one for me.  It might be a slang expression.

But as for murder idioms that I do know...

"Get away with murder" -- meaning someone is able escape retribution or punishment for their actions, whatever they may be, depending on the context.

"Scream bloody murder"  or alternately "cry bloody murder"  -- complaining about something or in some other way causing a scene over something that doesn't really justify the response.

Those are the only two I can think of.  Hope to hear from others who know their "murder" idioms! :)

I think "I could murder something for ..." is the more common one meaning I really need to have something. Some also use "I could kill for ..." As far as I know, there aren't that many idioms with the word "murder" in it. "Kill" may be more widely used.

• 2 weeks later...
"Get away with murder"

This is the first one that came to mind when I saw this topic and I think it's also the most popular one.  :smile:  Anyway, here's mine.. I don't know if all will count though all of them has something to do with killing.  :karate:

Murder will out - means that a bad deed will always be discovered.

Kill with kindness - to become excessively kind to someone.

Knock em dead - it's like wishing someone good luck like when someone is about to go on stage. You'll say this to remind them to give their best performance.

:smile:

"Sleeping with the fishes" is a common one used by the mafia, I think. At least it's what I've heard from popular culture and media. It is a term used for someone that the mob has murdered and is now in the deep sea presumably to hide the body from the police.

I have heard people say "she murdered that!" Meaning that she did a horrible job at something.  It's just plain murder is when someone takes advantage of someone else.  It is interesting to me that we have so many of these with negative words in them like murder or slaughter. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2014‎ ‎11‎:‎07‎:‎31‎, linguaholic said:

I have heard murder used like this before.   For example, "These heels (high-heeled shoes) are murder on my feet" or "killing my feet", meaning that they are making someone's feet hurt.  They are making it more difficult to walk, dance, etc.  I think the murder one is more commonly used in England than the US, though.  Here we say killing instead.