Linguaholic

What should you learn to speak first?

Denis Hard

It's easy. When kids learn to speak, when they see something they don't know, naturally, they'll ask you:  what is that/what do you call that, etc.

So, shouldn't the same apply for the language student. Instead of learning fancy grammar rules, etc, etc, wouldn't one learn a language faster just by knowing how to ask the question:

"How do you say. . .[in your language]?

e.g Someone learning English would ask me in their native language:

Comment ça se dit en anglais? [correct me if my French sucks].

and I'd answer

How do you say that in English?

You are right, Denis Hard. That's assuming that you are learning a language for use in communications. If you are learning a language just to pass exams, then go the way of the parrot. That, unfortunately, is how many Thais learn English - just to pass exams. I have even met one teacher who has been teaching English for more than a decade and he couldn't hold a conversation in English. Sad but true.

I could see this being a good idea.. It really makes sense actually. When I was in school studying French, yes, there were tests, quizzes, and exams to pass so I was more interested in learning things at my teachers academic pace. However, now that I am out of school and continuing to learn new languages for my own personal "know how", I do find it easier to focus on the socializing and communication aspect. I think really it just depends on the context a person will be using the language that they're learning.

I agree. Rules are there only as a guide to have some sort of standard but shouldn't necessarily be given the top priority, especially when you are only starting to learn the particular language. Often, I think correcting yourself down the line is a bit better because you get to start learning without much hesitation on whether or not you are saying things wrong and instead just focusing on trying to put together a good enough sentence to be understood which you can then just improve on as you go along.

That does seem like a good idea but I think that you should learn whatever you feel like you should learn first. I think it's best to start off with simple but conversational items such as hello, how are you? I'm good, I'm not so good, what's your name and goodbye.

Yes that is one way to look at it because learning a new language requires that you begin with the basics.When I started to learn French,I started by learning how to ask questions.

Indeed, sometimes I simple immerse myself in television or a newspaper and translate sentence by sentence with a grammar and a dictionary. It's always helpful if you have a basic grounding in grammar and common vocabulary first though.

Sometime I will simple rote memorise hundred of words so when I do come to read this way, the words come to me a lot faster.

I think that's a great way to learn.

To me, learning conversation first is easy. Even though you might make mistakes, it will help you get a general grasp of the language. You can learn how to do it more properly a little later. Maybe some people wouldn't agree with me, but that's what I think.