Linguaholic

How often do you check your dictionary?

sos

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I very rarely find myself looking words up in a dictionary. I know most words and if I don't know one it's easy enough to just figure out what it means by looking at the context, although I can imagine that you're going to have to get a dictionary when reading books that are that old. To be honest, I stick to the twentieth century, and perhaps the end of the nineteenth.

I don't often use a dictionary but whenever I do it is hardly ever for finding word meaning. Whenever I am reading and I come across a new word  I automatically know the meaning by the context of the sentence. If I am on the computer and I need to check out a word then I also don't need my dictionary, I just use the computer.

Well when reading a parallel text it can be quite frequent. I know sentence translations are there on the next page, but sometimes you need a dictionary to determine which word is which. Otherwise fairly frequently as well as my vocabulary is still limited in many of the languages I have studied.

I always try to refer to my dictionary when I come across a new word in my day-to-day life. Due to this practice, I have developed a strong vocabulary and it has also improved my command of the English language. I would recommend everybody to keep a dictionary nearby and refer to it for meanings of new words which you may come across.

Context helps a lot but I still find myself referring to the dictionary a lot, even if most of the time it's just to confirm my suspicions. Also, as a kid, I used to love just opening the dictionary to a random and learning a new word every now and then. It was some of the best half hours I've ever spent. Anyone else ever do this?

I don't even remember the last time I checked a dictionary. If I need help with understanding a word or a phrase, I either use context clues in the sentence to help me figure it out. Most of the time I just ask a friend what the word or phrase means.

I don't need a dictionary as long as I have a Wi-Fi connection. However, I don't check it very often because there are only a few complicated words that are used in every day talking.

I rarely use a dictionary to define a word. I used to if I wasn't sure of a word but now I usually check online as it is quicker and easier than using a book form dictionary. I think dictionaries are important to know how to use but with all the technology these days I would be surprised if people continued to use them as often when the Internet is at your fingertips with enough information to answer almost anything.

Pretty often. If I'm unsure about using a word based on context/definition I'll look it up to be absolutely sure. Oftentimes I'll type a word into my google tab just to make sure the spelling is correct.

I use dictionaries almost every single day. This especially holds true when reading in Chinese. There are still so many characters I am not 100 percent sure about the meaning, so I will definitely want to look it up in a dictionary. I mainly use digital Dictionaries (however, when reading ancient Chinese texts, I got to switch to 'real' dictionaries, which is not a bad thing after all)  :grin:

I often refer back to my dictionary to look for alternative meanings of words or even just and alternative word, I like to find new ways to say something and use words that one does not hear everyday. Whenever I am writing the dictionary is by my side.

Of late I have been reading books that were written in the nineteenth century and I have to keep referring to the dictionary.Does it happen to you?

It happens to me yup. Every time I go off into a phase of reading, I always need a dictionary  by my side. Or...on my computer. lol.

Sometimes. When I read and find a word that I don't know I would use the dictionary online (which is much more convenient and fast). I don't like to wait to know what certain words mean, drives me crazy  :grin:

I rarely use a dictionary, but if I come across a word that I'm not 100% sure of, I look it up.

I do look up many words for their spelling though :)

I sometimes use a dictionary to look up a few words that I may not be familiar with but this doesn't happen often.  I do this only if I can't decipher the mean of the word via the context of the sentence.

I've never read old books, so this specifically has never happened for me. However, I do still check definitions online from time to time because I still run across a good number of words that I did not know the meaning of. Also, since I do like to write, I usually check online for synonyms of some of my more overused words.

I simply feel too lazy to open the big fat dictionary that I have. If there's a word that I'm absolutely clueless about and cannot proceed any further unless I figure out its meaning, then I usually Google the word on my phone. I'm not exactly proud of this habit, but I guess it works for me.

I NEVER use my dictionary, it has no use nowadays. It's a pretty old one I brought from my parents almost 20 years ago, but now I just check online for the meaning of words.

I don't really check the language that much because I can mostly guess the word by the context it was used in.  But if I'm trying to define a word for someone I'll most likely just look it up on Google or something and get the definition.

I would say I use an online dictionary at least once a day. I often come across words that I don't know the meaning of, and I can't stand not knowing what they mean! I also sometimes have to review the definition of a word before I use it, to make sure that I'm using it correctly.

Sadly my future mother-in-law gave me a dutch-Spanish dictionary that I will probably never use  :shy:  I might try it tho, but I honestly think having Google translate installed on my mobile will come even more in handy, and will be using it far more than that dictionary.  But I was really grateful for her attempt to help me learn dutch, I can tell she really loves her son and that is why she wants me to learn dutch fast :) 

Physical dictionaries are no longer practical, sadly :(  I will try to use it today ;)