Linguaholic

Hand Idioms in English

LauraM

There are lots of idioms in the English language using "hand" and "hands."  Our hands are expressive both literally and figuratively where language is concerned!

Here are a few for starters.

"To know like the back of your hand" -- to be very familiar with something.

"To live hand to mouth" -- a very meager existence, just barely getting by.

"Hands down" -- obvious and without question, as in "He is the hands-down winner when it comes to knowing about English literature."

"To take matters into your own hands"  -- to take charge of circumstances or a situation rather than relying on others.

Please add to the list.  :) 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Some more:

Change hands - be given to someone else be it via a formal of transaction or otherwise.

Catch someone red-handed - to catch someone [by chance] doing something wrong.

. . .empty-handed - without anything.

Firsthand - experience something yourself.

Hand in hand - hold hands.

'Right-hand man' - second-in-command, most trusted friend

'To bite the hand that feeds you' - to harm someone who does good things for you

'To gain the upper hand' - to gain the superior/most advantageous position

There are also lots of idioms to do with fingers, arms, legs... more or less every body part there is!

• 2 weeks later...

:smile: Let's see...

• All hands on deck - when you want a full cooperation/attendance/participation of everyone.
  • You're in good hands - when you want to assure someone that they're safe.
  • To lend a hand - to help someone.

• 2 months later...

Just a few that has come to mind.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bushes.

Hands are tied.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Have a hand in something

"Well, give the man a hand!"  This is giving a round of applause to the person by clapping as a form of appreciation for his excellent performance. 

In a slightly off-topic sense, I first heard about this line in the original RoboCop film where Clarence Boddicker (Kurtwood Smith) tortured Murphy (Peter Weller) by shooting his right hand and horribly wounding him.

Here's a few more that I came across while surfing the net.  :smile:

1. Hand it to you - To acknowledge someone's skills or expertise.  Ex. I got to hand it to you, you really know how to bake delicious cakes.

2. To hand something on a platter - To make it easy for somebody. 

and

3. To take the law into your own hands - To seek justice without the help of the proper authorities.

:smile:

To rule with an iron fist -  to have strict and complete control over a person or a group of people

Slap on the wrist - A light punishment

Wash one's hand - to stop one's involvement in something so that one would not have to take responsibility

This one is pretty interesting:

To force someone’s hand - to maneuver so that someone is compelled to act prematurely or reveal his or her intentions.

And one of my favorite although it might not have much to do with hands:

To Throw Down the Gauntlet, which means to challenge.

The term derives from the time of medieval knights when a knight would offer a challenge by throwing down his gauntlet (a metal glove which formed part of his suit of armour). The other knight accepted the challenge by picking up the gauntlet.

• 2 months later...

Heavy handed - Very harsh, or strict. "That judge is known for his heavy-handed rulings."

Ham fisted - Having very large hands. I first came across this one while reading Piers Anthony novels in High School.

A show of hands - Raising the hand in agreement. "Can we see, by a show of hands, who the winner is?"

And those are my offerings.  :wacky:

• 3 weeks later...

That is interesting, I can think of three right now

All thumbs - to describe someone who is always clumsy

Backhanded compliment - which is a negative compliment or an insult

And something I often heard as a kid

The devil makes work for idle hands - if you aren't busy, then you're up to no good

Hand something over - to give something to someone    "Hey, that's my book, hand it over!"

Can't see hand in front of face - unable to see very far, usually due to darkness  "It was so dark that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face"

• 1 year later...

There's also "one hand washes the other" which is about doing a favor for someone while they do a favor for you.  "To have (blank) at hand" is to have it ready or nearby.  A "backhanded compliment" is an insult disguised as a compliment. EX:  You'd be so pretty if you lost all that weight.   "Wouldn't lift a finger" means to do nothing.  EX:  If she were in trouble, I wouldn't lift a finger to help her.  Mostly about someone you really don't like.