Linguaholic

Greek Time Story!

evakes

Aesop and his Fables

Aesop's Fables were meaningful stories credited to the Greek fabulist and story teller Aesop, who believed to have lived in Ancient Greece in the 5th century BC.  In these fables, the leading characters are mainly animals like the fox, the lion, the wolf etc. Animals speak and act like humans in these fairy tales and they interact with people and sometimes Gods too.  They are short symbolical stories, who stand out for their allegorism and educational meaning.

I find these meaningful fables very interesting and I believe they could help you read Greek because of their simple vocabulary. Here is one of the most famous Fables of Aesop. Ι tried to do 1:1 translation so it will be easy for you to understand the meaning of every word.

The Lion and the Mouse

Greek version

'Ένα μικρό ποντικάκι παρακολουθούσε ένα λιοντάρι που κοιμόταν. Το ποντίκι θαύμαζε τα αυτιά του λιονταριού, τα μακριά του μουστάκια και την μακριά του χαίτη.

"Αφού κοιμάται," , σκέφτηκε το ποντικάκι, "δεν θα καταλάβει ποτέ ότι ήμουν εδώ!"

Ευθύς αμέσως , το ποντίκι σκαρφάλωσε την ουρά του λιονταριού,  έτρεξε πάνω στην πλάτη του, γλίστρησε στο πόδι του και έπεσε πάνω στην πατούσα του. Το λιοντάρι ξύπνησε και παγίδευσε γρήγορα το ποντικάκι ανάμεσα στα νύχια του.

To ποντικάκι ικέτευσε το λιοντάρι:  "Σε παρακαλώ, άσε με να φύγω και θα ξαναέρθω να σε βοηθήσω κάποια μέρα."

Το λιοντάρι γέλασε: "Είσαι τόσο μικρός! Πως θα μπορούσες ποτέ να με βοηθήσεις?"

Το λιοντάρι γελούσε τόσο δυνατά που έπρεπε να κρατάει την κοιλιά του! Τότε το μικρό ποντικάκι δραπέτευσε από τη φυλακή του και έτρεξε όσο πιο μακριά μπορούσε.

Την επόμενη μέρα, δύο κυνηγοί ήρθανε στην ζούγκλα.  Πήγανε στην φωλιά του λιονταριού και στήσανε μια μεγάλη παγίδα με σκοινί. Όταν το λιοντάρι επέστρεψε σπίτι εκείνο το βράδυ έπεσε μέσα στην παγίδα.

Βρυχήθηκε!  έκλαψε!  Αλλά δεν μπορούσε να ελευθερώσει τον εαυτό του.

Το ποντίκι άκουσε τον θλιβερό βρυχηθμό του λιονταριού και γύρισε πίσω γρήγορα για να το βοηθήσει.

Το ποντίκι εξέτασε την παγίδα και ανακάλυψε το χοντρό σκοινί που συγκρατούσε όλα τα υπόλοιπα.  Ξεκίνησε να ροκανίζει και να ροκανίζει μέχρι που το σκοινί κόπηκε και το λιοντάρι τώρα μπορούσε να τινάξει από πάνω του τα υπόλοιπα σκοινιά που τον κρατούσαν σφιχτά. Σηκώθηκε ελεύθερος και πάλι!

Το λιοντάρι γύρισε στο ποντίκι και είπε , "Αγαπητέ μου φίλε, ήμουν ανόητος που σε κορόιδευα που ήσουν μικρός. Τελικά με βοήθησες σώζοντας μου τη ζωή!"

English version

A small mouse examined a sleeping lion. The mouse admired the lion's ears, his long whiskers and his long mane.

"Since he's sleeping," thought the little mouse, "he'll never realize I'm here!"

With that, the mouse climbed up onto the lion's tail, ran across its back, slid down its leg and jumped to its paw. The lion awoke and quickly caught the little mouse between its claws.

The little mouse begged the lion: "Please, let me go and I'll come back and help you someday."

The lion laughed: "You are so small! How could ever help me?"

The lion laughed so hard he had to hold his belly! Then the little mouse escaped his prison and ran until she was far, far away.

The next day, two hunters came to the jungle. They went to the lion's lair and they set a huge rope snare. When the lion came home that night, he stepped into the trap.

He roared! He wept! But he couldn't pull himself free.

The mouse heard the lion's pitiful roar and came back quickly to help him.

The mouse examined the trap and discovered the thick rope that held it together. It began nibbling and nibbling until the rope broke and now the lion was able to shake off the other ropes that held him tight. He stood up free again!

The lion turned to the mouse and said: "My dear friend, I was foolish to laugh at you for being small. You helped me by saving my life after all!"

Some vocabulary:

ποντίκι        mouse

λιοντάρι      lion

ουρά          tail

πόδι            leg

πατούσα      paw

νύχια          claws

αυτί            ear

βοηθώ        help

μικρός        little

κοιμάμαι      sleep

ικετεύω        beg