Linguaholic

Vabbene

yurithebest1

I have been hearing this expression "Vabbene" a lot in Italian and i know that it means Okay or Fine, but i am just willing to know now its vocabulary meaning, i mean is it composed of two nouns and the whole meaning is Okay, or the whole word means Okay.

• 1 month later...

Its exactly that, an expression. Literally it mean "goes good", va means go and bene means good. It is usually understood as a simple, casual "okay".

Italians have some funny expressions like whenever they answer the phone they say "pronto" which literal translates to "soon", instead of "salve" or "buon giorno"which are common ways to say hello.

• 4 months later...

Actually this expression is made of 2 words: "va bene".

"Va" from the third person singular of the verb "andare" meaning "to go"...

"Bene" is an adverb that means "well"...

So it is no an expression like the previous post said... It literally means "it goes well"...

Another errata corrige from the previous post: it is clear that the author of the post it is not italian because pronto means "soon" in Spanish, in Italian it means "ready", as in "I am ready to listen"....

Sorry for reopening this old topic but to my knowledge it had a misleading answer and I felt like rectifying it...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It means things are fine. We say it when someone asks how you are and your response is fabene.

You could also just bene but the correct way to say it fabene. (not sure about my spelling)

"fabene" means nothing... "va bene" is the corect form, some illitearates say "vabbene" joining the two words with an extra b because they can't speak correctly and in some places like Rome and middle Italy they tend to multiply  oral occlusive consonants such as "b"

It means things are fine. We say it when someone asks how you are and your response is fabene.

You could also just bene but the correct way to say it fabene. (not sure about my spelling)

by the way... the response to a "how are you" is "sto bene", non "va bene"...

"va bene" is a general response used to answer when somebody ask you about an ongoing action...

e.g.: "how is your chess game going?"

Natasha... you ain't no italian... yet...

• 7 months later...

by the way... the response to a "how are you" is "sto bene", non "va bene"...

"va bene" is a general response used to answer when somebody ask you about an ongoing action...

e.g.: "how is your chess game going?"

Natasha... you ain't no italian... yet...