Linguaholic

Range of accents, proximity to location

Hedonologist

I'm not sure what the best title for this would have been, but the issue is that people are more perceptive of accents closer to them. For an example and Englishman will tell you there are many accents (Scouse, Brummie, Geordie, Cockney, etc) but seem to assume there is only an 'Irish' or 'American' accent. Many Americans seem to think that there is only a 'British' accent and can't tell them apart.

Even within London itself People will be aware of several accents. Cockney, North London and Collindale are distinct ones I can recognise.

It would appear that people are aware of many accent around them that many fail to even notice exist. As far as I can tell there is only one Australian accent although many aussie may well be able to tell me otherwise.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I understand what you mean. I've even come across some people who aren't able to differentiate between Asian languages such as Japanese, Chinese and Korean, but I think that's understandable since we are all in our little bubble in some ways and it might not be practical to expect everyone to understand and be interested in languages enough to know the global rules. Also, you made a great point about the Australian accent and the point of it probably still having some regional variations, and I'd love to find this out if it's true or not.

I can notice the difference between certain British accents but I can't place what they are or where the accents are from. But I think it's all a matter of ear-training. After spending time with these different accents, you learn more about them.

I think all accents are charming, though. I'm not a big fan of people that try too hard to lose their accent!

I agree with you, most people only have a vague idea of accents but I think a lot of it comes down to them just not knowing and not being an experienced traveller.

For example, I'm British so I can tell these accents apart easy! If I went America I could tell apart certain accents such as New York, California, Texas etc. but nothing to specific.

I agree with you, most people only have a vague idea of accents but I think a lot of it comes down to them just not knowing and not being an experienced traveller.

For example, I'm British so I can tell these accents apart easy! If I went America I could tell apart certain accents such as New York, California, Texas etc. but nothing to specific.

Same here. I think American accents are a little more well known and can easily be separated since we're all so exposed to the different ones through media, but since other countries' shows aren't as mainstream, people tend to be less familiar with the differences of the different areas and accents and therefore we all just assume that it's all just one accent. I think a lot more people are aware of the different British accents though, since British media and culture are still relatively mainstream as well.