Linguaholic

Have You Read the Novel "Divergent?"

LauraM

"Divergent" is a novel by the first-time novelist Veronica Roth.  It's been made into a movie which opens in theaters next month.  The novel and the upcoming movie have drawn comparisons to "The Hunger Games."  "Divergent" is the first of a trilogy so we can anticipate that if the movie is successful, we might see additional movies being made.

Have you read "Divergent?"  If so, what did you like about it?  Would you recommend it to others?  I'm curious to know.  I haven't read it but I'm hearing so much about it partly because of the movie.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the trailer. This is the movie featuring Shailene Woodley, am I right?

And yes, I completely agree with you when you say that it is compared to "The Hunger Games." The plot seems extremely interesting and I would definitely watch the movie. I would also like to know if it is good enough to be recommended, because if it is, I'd purchase one.

I've read all the trilogy and it's good. Very good.

The plot catch you with her dynamisim. I can't stop to read until finish.

I love the actors who the production choose. They're too similar to the Roth's characters.

I'll waiting this movie and I recommend this saga.

The title of it seems like it could be an interesting story. What's it about exactly, can someone share some general plot on this book? I haven't heard of the movie either so I'm absolutely clueless for now. Is the story similar to "The Hunger Games" since you guys said it's comparable?

I've read the trilogy as well and I agree with @Kimerah it's VERY good. I was reluctant to read it at first because they do compare it a lot to "The Hunger Games". But the story line is very different from Hunger Games except that they're both set in a dystopian society. It's got a lot more action than Hunger Games and such great twists to the story. Really, my fingers weren't turning the pages fast enough. I was so hooked that I missed a whole day of college just reading it.

But i'm already disappointed from what I saw of the trailers. They're deciding to exclude some characters from the book and the actress playing "Tris" who is the main character of the books look nothing alike from the description. Hopefully the rest will be good though.

• 1 month later...

I've read the trilogy as well and I agree with @Kimerah it's VERY good. I was reluctant to read it at first because they do compare it a lot to "The Hunger Games". But the story line is very different from Hunger Games except that they're both set in a dystopian society. It's got a lot more action than Hunger Games and such great twists to the story. Really, my fingers weren't turning the pages fast enough. I was so hooked that I missed a whole day of college just reading it.

But i'm already disappointed from what I saw of the trailers. They're deciding to exclude some characters from the book and the actress playing "Tris" who is the main character of the books look nothing alike from the description. Hopefully the rest will be good though.

I have! I have!

I believe that it's just compared to Hunger Games because it's also a Dystopian novel. Dystopia, the opposite of utopia, is a society characterized by human misery, as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding (from Dictionary.com). But the story line is so different between the two trilogies. While Hunger Games revolves on tributes being thrown into a killing arena by the government, Divergent is about  a city divided into factions living harmoniously at first, then they're not. The factions (which I think is somehow like the houses in Hogwarts) are Dauntless (the brave), Erudite (the intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), and Abnegation (the selfless).

Although the first two books are really action-filled and page-turning, with a lot of plot twists, I was disappointed about the last installment, Allegiant. Go figure.

I've only read the first book so far, though I've placed holds on the other books at the library and will read them once I have the opportunity to do so.

I wasn't a fan of the first one too much, though. I felt the romance seemed forced into the plot, and the pacing was terrible - almost all of the important plot elements were mashed together at the end.

It's an interesting read, sure, but I wouldn't call it my favorite.

I actually purchased the book way WAY before they decided to make a movie. Back then, it wasn't a very popular series yet. Unfortunately, I never had the time to read the book so it's just collecting dust on my book shelf.

Haven't seen the movie either.

It seems interesting, I would definitely like to read it...normally I like to read the book before I watch the movie, because to me the books are always better, haha. I'll definitely give it a try!

It seems interesting, I would definitely like to read it...normally I like to read the book before I watch the movie, because to me the books are always better, haha. I'll definitely give it a try!

I also like to read the book first before I watch the movie. It helps me distinguish the changes they made to the original story line. I haven't watched the movie yet, but most of my friends told me that the adaptation is really good.

You should definitely try reading this especially if you're into Dystopian stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I've read all the trilogy and it's good. Very good.

The plot catch you with her dynamisim. I can't stop to read until finish.

I love the actors who the production choose. They're too similar to the Roth's characters.

I'll waiting this movie and I recommend this saga.

Ooh! Thanks for the recommendation. I just watched the movie yesterday. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think I'd like it but it was pretty good. And since I'm so impatient with stories, I'm out to get the book so I know what's coming next.  :grin:

• 3 months later...

I have. However, I confess that I only read this when I watched the movie. I liked the movie in a way even if it was like The Hunger Games. I can't say the same after reading the book though. The book was much better. It let me understand Tris more and the various social issues that affect them.

Overall, Divergent is a really good book. I recommend this to those who haven't read it yet.