Linguaholic

freerice.com

I came across a website that can be useful to improve both your English vocabulary and grammar.

vocabulary

grammar

Not only do you help yourself by improving your English. Every correct answer you give is worth 10 grains of rice donated to the World Food Programme

I love this website! I, too, forgot it existed. I didn't know there was a grammar quiz and looking around, I see they added a whole slew of new subjects. I'm sure I had an account, but I can't remember it, and it won't accept any of my emails for the password reset. Oh, well. Maybe they delete inactive accounts after a few years? I'll just re-register.

From the FAQs:

Here is how it works: when you play the game, sponsor banners appear on the bottom of your screen for every correct answer that you choose. The money generated by these banners is then used to buy the rice.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to disable any ad-blocking you might have while you play the game. While they don't say it, most of these ads pay per impression, and if you can't see the ad, they won't get any money. Just something to keep in mind until anyone can clarify this point.

I love FreeRice, it's a great site. Also, you can change settings and practice things other than English vocabulary! They also have French, German, Spanish, Italian and Latin, as well as many categories that don't have anything to do with languages.

Just click the "subject" tab at the top of the site and you can see them all :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I love this site! But shame on me, it feels like ages since I last used it :shy: I do my daily clicking at ClicktoGive and other similar donation sites but completely forgot for this one. I love the idea of studying and helping others at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I completely forgot about this website. I must have donated at least 10,000 grains of rice from all the time I spent on there, but somehow I just forgot to go on it. Good to see it's still going strong, I'll have to start doing that again sometime.

I've played on it a lot several years ago. I donated a good amount of rice as well. After a while, I just felt like I had seen all the words, so there was nothing new for me. Also, the words were relatively easy to guess, you could just break them down. A word like, for example, anthropomorphism is easy to guess if you know that anthropo- words are all about humans in one way or another.

I'll have to see if they changed much.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember playing it before. I thought of doing it again but I forgot the website. Thanks for the reminders. It's really good because as you progress, the difficulty also becomes harder.

Not only do you help yourself by improving your English. Every correct answer you give is worth 10 grains of rice donated to the World Food Programme

Just this fact discourages me from using this website.

Sorry, I learned to distrust the World Food Program after a sad experience that is off-topic to discuss here.

However if this tell serves to help someone to improve their English and have no inconvenience to participating with those 10 grains they say to donate, I don't see why others should not use it ;)

I clicked on both of the clicks, and bookmarked them. I also played the vocabulary games and I was able to donate 300 grains of rice in a short space of time! This site is great! I wish I had found out about it sooner. I am a native English speaker but I love the idea of doing simple things like these to make a difference in the world. Foreign speakers can practice their English while helping other persons. I believe this is just a brilliant idea!  :grin: I will sign up for an account next time I get the chance to.

• 4 years later...