Linguaholic

Your Favourite Word(s)

Emmanuel

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I used to keep a list of my favorite words that I had come across. Most of them were words I had never knew the meaning of. One of my favorites to use is monopoly. I just like the way it sounds and what different kinds of "monopolies" you can come up with (that guy sounded like he had a monopoly on all the worst pickup lines). It's also an interesting word since, if you split it down the middle, the words literally mean "one many" which I've always found peculiar.

My favorite words are usually words that sound funny when spoken. They might even be mistaken for slang. Some of them are hullabaloo, catawampous and titivate. As a child I would hear adults use these words and thought that they were just being funny.

My favorite words are obscure, penultimate, and serendipitous.  I believe some of my friends wouldn't even be able to tell me the definition of at least two words in my list.  I get a satisfying sense of comfort when I say or even hear those words.  I'm not entirely sure why, but maybe it enhances my thinking process :)

I always like "anthem." It's so solid and forceful. It sounds like what an actual anthem should sound like... anthematic.

That's a good one. I like the "th" sound in general. It reminds me of a saying I once heard that english sounds like snake speak to non-english speakers.

Every once in a while, I find myself saying "What a great word".  But can I think of them now? Not really; they usually come to me spontaneously when I am speaking or writing.

But let me put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with anything...

klugey

discombobulated

exuberant

to name a few. I know there are more. I'll probably wake in the middle of the night and think of them!

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought about the satisfaction you can get from the sound of a word. I think for me it is more the meaning behind certain words that give me a good feeling.

Such words would be: "eternity", "love", "solitude".

Words that express agreements such as : yes, you may, okay, yup, and the like. Whenever I hear words that agree with me whether I'm asking something like a favor or asking for permission to go to the bathroom when at school, I find delight hearing these words. There are some people though who are very rude and comment something like, I can't do anything when you go to the bathroom and stuff like that, they should just say yes, or go.