Linguaholic

Why Do Some Words And Phrases Annoy Us?

Baburra

I once watched a show wherein a character was described as one who hated the word "moist", which I found very amusing mostly because it did not peeve me that much, but I know that if it did then I would be terribly annoyed when it was mentioned too. That said, it's partly what gave me the idea that this trait is more universal than I originally thought when I was assuming that it was just me who experienced these types of annoyances.

I myself have some of these pet peeves such as the use of certain shortcuts like "It'll" instead of saying "it will" but for some reason I am not annoyed when it's used for human pronouns such as "He'll" or "She'll". That, and many many more but I'll save you guys from my list.  :frozen:

I don't mean to offend anyone who does use these words and phrases, I'm just being honest and believe me I'd love to just do away with this annoyance if I could but I can't help it.

Anyway, do you guys have any pet peeves like this? Do you have any idea why these things annoy us?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

The reason we may hate some words is because in our unconscious we may have gone through a bad experiences and would therefore associate those words [whether they were used then or conjure up memories of what happened]. IMO, that's why most people have an aversion towards certain words.

In my case I hate the words victor and ex. Anytime someone uses those words, I feel rage starting to burn hot inside me. 

I once watched a show wherein a character was described as one who hated the word "moist", which I found very amusing mostly because it did not peeve me that much, but I know that if it did then I would be terribly annoyed when it was mentioned too. That said, it's partly what gave me the idea that this trait is more universal than I originally thought when I was assuming that it was just me who experienced these types of annoyances.

I myself have some of these pet peeves such as the use of certain shortcuts like "It'll" instead of saying "it will" but for some reason I am not annoyed when it's used for human pronouns such as "He'll" or "She'll". That, and many many more but I'll save you guys from my list.  :frozen:

I don't mean to offend anyone who does use these words and phrases, I'm just being honest and believe me I'd love to just do away with this annoyance if I could but I can't help it.

Anyway, do you guys have any pet peeves like this? Do you have any idea why these things annoy us?

I have no pet peeves really. I just sometimes dislike the accent with which some persons pronounce certain words. But that doesn't make me hate the person; just the expression. We have different preferences, especially due to our encounters in childhood. These therefore affect our likes and dislikes.

The reason we may hate some words is because in our unconscious we may have gone through a bad experiences and would therefore associate those words [whether they were used then or conjure up memories of what happened]. IMO, that's why most people have an aversion towards certain words.

In my case I hate the words victor and ex. Anytime someone uses those words, I feel rage starting to burn hot inside me.

Lol. That was a funny one. I assume Victor and ex are one and the same person. I can relate to what you mean. Bad experiences produce present annoyances.

I don't really have any pet peeve but there are certainly words that does annoy me. For example some slang used by our locals. Some of them are zeen, instead of seen and instead of saying hey or hello to get someones attention they'll say yow. One word that might be familiar to many is the word dawg, it also annoys me.

There are definitely certain words or expressions that really annoy me. Mostly it's because of overuse. I can't stand when people say "at the end of the day" or "hands down". The words "actually" and "literally" also rub me the wrong way. I think they're used far too often, and sometimes out of context or unnecessarily.

I admit I do have a few pet peeves and typically they are words and phrases that are overused or used incorrectly.

I think "awesome" is overused to the point that it has lost its significance.  And the constant use of it really dilutes the meaning.  So then suddenly if something truly is "awesome" we have to come up with another word!

I find that it can be annoying at times when slang expressions crop up and they get overused, and used to the point that subtly in meaning is lost.  Case in point is this phrase "throwing shade" which suddenly everyone is using and which you see a lot in entertainment sites and blogs.  It's as if now that we have this "throwing shade" term suddenly people are looking for excuses to use it. 

I think "selfie" is getting overused, too.  And perhaps because it's used so much maybe people suddenly now feel more compelled to do selfies! 

Those are just a few examples.  But absolutely, I totally understand being annoyed by words and phrases!

Hey are you talking about the show How I Met Your Mother where Lily hates the word "moist"? :D Great show by the way, i'm really sad it's ending soon.

But anyway, yes some words just give me this unusually bad feeling and I hate it. I hate the words "slither" and "succulent". I can't explain why but I just do when people say it.

I don't really have any pet peeve but there are certainly words that does annoy me. For example some slang used by our locals. Some of them are zeen, instead of seen and instead of saying hey or hello to get someones attention they'll say yow. One word that might be familiar to many is the word dawg, it also annoys me.

Oh man, this happens here too. As much as I hate being petty, and I do try not to be, I can't help but cringe whenever the local people here morph English words into what they think is cute. The worst thing is that many people do find it amusing and cute and it basically turns into a whole array of bastardized words and phrases vast enough to become a dialect of its own. I just mostly try to ignore it, though, no sense getting worked up about it, but it is difficult to avoid especially since it's all over social media most of the time.

Hey are you talking about the show How I Met Your Mother where Lily hates the word "moist"? :D Great show by the way, i'm really sad it's ending soon.

But anyway, yes some words just give me this unusually bad feeling and I hate it. I hate the words "slither" and "succulent". I can't explain why but I just do when people say it.

I was referring to a different show, but if HIMYM used that detail then it's probably more common than I thought. Also, I'm not particularly annoyed with the specific words you gave but I know what you mean since they do sound kind of like that type of word that would be annoying, and it really bothers me not to know why.  :laugh:

I don't know why but when people misuse "to" as "too" and "there" and "they're" it really bothers me.  Like I just can't seem to read the sentence if it's they're, it really bothers me.  Does it bother you guys to?

It really annoys me when people use a very vulgar language, specially if there is not a real reason for that.  just hate it how some people throw in the f word in almost every sentence they speak or write.  That's something that gets in my nerves, I don't really know why, but I am guessing is because my mom never liked me to do that when I was little.  Maybe I need to be more open minded?

• 2 weeks later...

I only hat words that are over used. And it's not even all over used words, just the ones that I feel are senseless. I feel the same way about some phrases. And acronyms. Like YOLO. I hate YOLO so much.