Linguaholic

Movie Quotes/Phrases

What's your favorite Movie 'Quote'?

I really like some parts out of Pulp Fiction, like this one here:

Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?

Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.

Jules: Then what do they call it?

Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.

Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?

Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.

Jules: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?

Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.

Well this conversation about Burgers is even much longer than that, but it is just hilarious:=)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Such a difficult question. I would have to say that one of my favorite lines is from a Woody Allen film called "Annie Hall"

At the end of the film, Woody's character tells a joke, which is pretty much one of my favorite quotes.

“It reminds me of that old joke- you know, a guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and says, hey doc, my brother's crazy! He thinks he's a chicken. Then the doc says, why don't you turn him in? Then the guy says, I would but I need the eggs. I guess that's how I feel about relationships. They're totally crazy, irrational, and absurd, but we keep going through it because we need the eggs.”

My favourite is from The Virgin Suicides when Cecelia says to the doctor "Obviously Doctor, you've never been a 13 year old girl". It was awesome when she said that. :D Great movie too!

I love this movie. Sofia Coppola is definitely one of my all-time favorite directors. It's amazing how this movie was able to capture how it feels like to be a teenage girl. That line hit me hard as well! It's such a short quote, yet it has so much emotion in it. It makes us ask questions about how it really would feel like going through life as a problematic teenager. Incredible movie. Nice choice!

My favorites are the quotes spoken by Arnold Schwarzeneggar. The guy has like the best one-liners in movies ever. Other memorable ones for me are "We came, we saw, and we kicked its a**!" from Ghostbusters, "You complete me" from Jerry Maguire, and "I can't carry the ring for you, but I can carry you" from Return of The Kings.

I really like the Monty Python films, for weird quotes.

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries."

Black Knight "Tis but a scratch."

King Arthur " A scratch?! Your arm's off!"

And other nonsense like the song "always look on the bright side of life".

From the files of Police The Police Squad:

Frank Drebin has a rendezvous with Ludwig [the bad guy] but unknown to him, the bastard [Ludwig] has double-crossed him [Drebin] and sent two goons to kill him.

Drebin: Ludwig!

Goon: Drebin!

Drebin: Yeah, I'm Frank Drebin.

Goon: I have a message for you from Ludwig.

Drebin: I'm sorry I can't hear you. Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

There were so many that went through my brain and I decide its was definitely impossibe to narrow it down to a few so here are some of my favourites:

Carlitto's Way-Lalin:

"Look what I got! I mean look at me!

You got everything, man! Come on!

Look what I got to f*****g go around with

f****** diapers! I s*** my pantd everyday!

I can't walk I cant hump...you know?

Go ahead and kill me you C*********!!! :laugh:

The Other Guys

" I'm a peacock Captin! You gotta me fly".

Pitch Perfect

Cynthia Rose:"I have a confession to make".

Fat Amy: "We all know where this is going lesbi-honest".

I really like the Monty Python films, for weird quotes.

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries."

This particular quote is actually very clever. Hamsters are known to breed very quick, so the French guard is actually implying that King Arthur's mother was a sex-addict. Also, elderberries are used to make wine in the medieval times, so the French guard, again, is accusing King Arthur's father to be a drunkard.

Fun Fact: All members of the Month Python troupe are highly educated, some studied at Cambridge and some studied at Oxford before they came together as "Month Python". 

I am a longtime fan of classic Hollywood movies of the 1930s, '40s and '50s so some of my favorite movie quotes are from some of these classics.

Betty Davis in "All About Eve"

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard"

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up."

Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca"

"Here's looking at you, kid."

I actually wrote an article just the other day about some of my favorite movie quotes so I think it is pretty funny that I came across this discussion today.

Here are three of my most favorite movie quotes:

Nobody puts Baby in a corner (Dirty Dancing)

My momma always said life is like a box of chocolates (Forrest Gump)

Just keep swimming (Finding Nemo)

My favorite quote is from "Thelma and Louise" where all the authorities are trying to track them down and one officer says to another that those gals "must be really smart or really lucky".  The head investigator replies:

"Well brains will only get you so far and luck always runs out".

• 1 month later...

Mine is "don't call me Shirley" from the movie Airplane. I've never watched that movie, to be honest, but I always see that clip being shared around and parodied and I always found it amusing. The exchange goes something like a man telling Leslie Nielsen "Surely you can't be serious", then Leslie going "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley". It makes me grin everytime.  :wacky:

• 3 weeks later...

The Italian Job happens to be one of my favorite movies. I particularly like the line which the daughter of the older guy that was killed by his traitor quoted to him, the traitor." I trust everyone, it's the devil inside them that I don't trust.

Why has no one mentioned Star Wars yet?

[list type=decimal]

[*]“Never tell me the odds!” Han Solo

[*]“You do have your moments. Not many, but you have them.” Princess Leia

[*]“Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes; your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for your… sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now, his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the Dark Side… then perhaps she will…” Darth Vader

[*]“Ben! I can be a Jedi. Ben, tell him I’m ready!” (Thumps head on ceiling.) “Ow!” Luke Skywalker

My favourite quote from a film is the quote "never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" which was in a Cinderella story.

The princess bride (the 80s movie) has some great quotes.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hilarious and a part of pop culture now.

Oh I have a couple of favorites. One makes me smile because of it's silliness and I found it cute. It's from Lilo and Stitch:

Lilo: And today we were out of peanut butter. So I asked my sister what to give him, and she said 'a tuna sandwich'. I can't give Pudge tuna!

[whispering]

Lilo: Do you know what tuna *is*?

Hula Teacher: Fish?

Lilo: [hysterical] It's fish! If I give Pudge tuna, I'd be an abomination! I'm late because I had to go to the store and get peanut butter 'cause all we have is... is... stinkin' tuna!

And this one makes me cry. It's from the movie I Am Sam:

Rita: Now, Ms. Cossell, in all the time that you've known them, have you ever questioned Sam's ability as a father?

Annie: Never.

Rita: Never?

Annie: Never. Look at Lucy. She's strong. She displays true empathy for people, all kinds of people. I know that you all think she's as smart as she is despite him, but it's because of him.

Rita: So what you're saying is you don't worry about Lucy's future?

Annie: No, I do.

Rita: Ah...

Annie: I worry all the time. I worry if they take Lucy away from her father they will take away an enormous piece of her, and I worry that she will spend the rest of her life trying to fill that hole.

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of favorite movie quotes, and here are some of them.

Snakes on a Plane

Eddie Kim: Then again, I was raised by a single mom and... (beats the prosecutor to a pulp with a baseball bat)

Neville Flynn: Do as I say, and you'll live.

First Blood

John Rambo: In town you're the law, out here it's me.

The Protector (1985)

Billy Wong: Give me the f***ing keys.*

*This is the only known Jackie Chan movie where he uses a swear word.

The Karate Kid trilogy

John Kreese: Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Cobra Kai: No, Sensei!

John Kreese: Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?

John Kreese: Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Terry Silver: Now the real pain begins, Danny boy.