Linguaholic

Movie Quotes/Phrases

I just remembered one of my most favorite movie quotes in history which is Robocop's "I'd buy that for a dollar". I remember being confused by this line a bit when I was younger, because I didn't know if the thing he was pertaining to was supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing because a dollar is hardly substantial enough for it to be a compliment. It sounds great as a line, though, and it certainly made an impression on me, as well as many others.

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

• 2 weeks later...

Through the years, there are a lot of movie quotes or phrases that stayed with me. I will share with you some of the lines I love the most.

1. "You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on." -- Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth (Pride and Prejudice, 2005)

2. "How old do you have to be before you know the difference between right and wrong? Do you have to be eighteen? Do you have to be eighteen before you can bring yourself to own up to a lie? There are soldiers of eighteen old enough to be left to die on the side of the road! Did you know that?" -- Robbie Turner (Atonement)

3. "Everybody has problems. Everybody has bad times. Do we sacrifice all the good times because of them?" -- Phoebe Banks (Enchanted)

There are so many good ones, there are some I have used my self

"Don't ever let somebody tell you - You can't do something."

from "The Pursuit of Happyness" (yep, with a y)

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer

from "The Godfather", the most easily remembered

"Close your eyes and pretend it's all a bad dream. That's how I get by."

from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, me too!

• 2 weeks later...

Darth Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.

Luke Skywalker: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!

Darth Vader: No. I am your father.

Luke Skywalker: No... that's not true! That's impossible!

From one of my favorite movies, The Empire Strikes Back. A very emotional scene.

My favorite would be, well it's not a classic but I'm pretty sure it will be someday, it's a quote from the Joker from the The Dark Knight (2008) "If you're good at something never do it for free" I've lived by that quote ever since I first watched the movie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My favourite quote is the ending monologue of the film Blade Runner made by Roy Batty: "I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die…"

"You had me at Hello"  from Jerry McGuire.

And I don't know the exact quote, but in "Dear John" when Amanda S's character says to Tatum's character that she doesn't want him to get into any more trouble

and he says something like, "Yeah, it's already a little too late for that."

Lol, was he making fun of the other person's accent?

I don't think so. I think it was more of a play on puns than accents. Both characters were Americans with similar accents so if anything it would have been that the other one just slightly misheard the speaker. I love this scene I think it's so simple but for some reason it became memorable for everyone including myself.

Well, aside from the "Hasta La Vista Baby" in Terminator movies, I do have other favorite quotes. :P

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get" - Forrest Gump

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are… it is our choices" - Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

"After a while, you learn to ignore the names people call you and just trust who you are" - from Shrek

• 1 year later...

I have many favorites, but one that I can think of off the top of my head came from a movie I recently watched. 

Shelock Holmes, 2009

Sherlock is pointing at cane directly at Watson's face while talking to him.

Watson (angrily): Get that out of my face!

Sherlock (calmly): It's not in your face; it's in my hand.

Watson: Get what's in your hand out of my face.

Also, I like

Sherlock:Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently learned this line that's apparently from Jurassic Park (I've never watched it - I like quiet movies with simple plots, haha):

"Life finds a way."

Simple and terrifying, isn't it?

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite ones is from Naked Gun (same actor as Airplane!):

Jane Spencer: I've heard police work is dangerous. 
Frank: It is. That's why I carry a big gun. 
Jane Spencer: Aren't you afraid it might go off accidentally? 
Frank: I used to have that problem. 
Jane Spencer: What did you do about it? 
Frank: I just think about baseball.

Those spoof films were so good.

From Doctor Who:

“Through crimson stars and silent stars and tumbling nebulas like oceans set on fire; through empires of glass and civilizations of pure thought, and a whole, terrible, wonderful universe of impossibilities. You see these eyes? They’re old eyes. And one thing I can tell you, Alex… Monsters are real.” – The Doctor

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my all time favorites is from Cool Runnings: 

Yul Brenner: How about I beat your butt?
Sanka Coffie: How about I draw a line down the middle of your head so it looks like a butt?

And 

Sanka: Cold?! I'm freezing my royal Rastafarian nay-nays off!