Linguaholic

Words that you would love to make your names

Eudora13

There are so many beautiful words in English that I wouldn't mind keeping as my name (if I ever wished to do away with mine  :tongue: ). I like the words Felicity, Laurel, Ivory, Epiphany, Evanescent (yes, I know!), Demesne. In fact I would love to keep my name Demesne, it's a pity such a poetic word has such a banal meaning as land possession.

What would be your choice of words?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't usually like words as names (desirée, destiny, etc..) but there are a couple that I'm quite fond of. I like J'aime as a name, as well as hope and rose. They're all female names, so I don't know if I'd make them my name any time soon.

Interesting topic. I always find those nontraditional celebrity baby names a little odd. But every once in awhile I think about how a certain word has a nice ring to it. I once misheard someone's name as Maroon, and thought that would make a nice name (for either a boy or girl)

It reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George wants to name his child Seven or Soda:)

I like a lot of unusual sounding names. First ones that come to mind are Adelaide (actually a city name in Australia), Halo, Lyric, Stirling, Lilac and a lot of nature related words, particularly Primrose, Lily, Ocean, Heather, Hazel, Clementine, Rowan, Storm...I could go on, haha.

I really like my name so I wouldn't want to change it but I have named some pets after some of these names :)

I have always liked to hear children with names such as Asia and Africa but I always wondered if it would have the same beautiful sound when the child becomes an adult. I do like my name and have no plans on changing it but there are still a few words that I think would suit me for names such as Serenity, Bliss and  Unique.

I love Desire. I would love to name one of my daughters Desire or Desiree.

For me it's a very beautiful name and I want the word to describe the person itself. Hopefully my daughter will be very desirable, in a nice way. I've always thought the name was quite pretty and it easily rolls of the tongue.

I would have chosen Metta World Peace but Ron Artest beat me to it, and my second choice is already taken by Dwayne Johnson. For real though, I don't know. Some words work well as names (Hope, Faith, etc) but others simply fall flat (Blue Ivy, North West).

My most favourite word-names is Rose, Hope, Heaven (but they are pretty common). I think if you are British or American word-names can sound so stupid because you use these words many times during day not as a name. But in general they are beautiful names. 

I don't know, probably for a girl I think penguin is cure and for a boy possibly tiger. I don't know if this has some sort of negative connotation though.  :grin:

I think most word names are a bit silly for example, Apple. I simply just don't get it.

However, I do like Phoenix, like the late heartthrob River Phoenix which I think is an amazing name. But not one I would personally give to myself or my child.

For word name lovers here is a little list for you.

Savannah

Dawn

Ivy

Paige

Patience

Liberty

Amber

Jasmine

Madison

Justice

Skye

Love

Grace

However, I do like Phoenix, like the late heartthrob River Phoenix which I think is an amazing name. But not one I would personally give to myself or my child.

For word name lovers here is a little list for you.

Savannah

Dawn

Ivy

Paige

Patience

Liberty

Amber

Jasmine

Madison

Justice

Skye

Love

Grace

:cool: Phoenix and Skye definitely!

• 4 weeks later...

If I could rename myself, I'd go by Cloud, Sky, Grey, Hill, or Art. They sound like names Hollywood stars would give their kids but I find them interesting. They're a diversion from the usual names we hear. I have a common name myself, and would love to have a unique name. Unique names are easily remembered too, which would be plus for an introvert like me.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot that do not look funny when used as names like:

Faith;

Heart;

Grace;

Mary (Marry);

Christian;

King;

Pope;

Ace.

These are all I can give for now, but there are a lot more!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd make my name something commonly used and banal or really mundane, if only for people's initial confusion when I tell them my name. Words such as:

Refrigerator

Streetlamp

Recliner

Of course I'd never really do it, it's just a fun thing to think about  :grin:

• 1 month later...

That's an interesting topic. If chose to change my name into an English word, I would choose "Horizon", "Sunrise", "Summer wind", "Leaf" or "Moonlight". I would definitely want a name that fits my philosophical and poetic nature. :)

• 1 year later...

I really love names with the name Maria on it like Maria Veronica, Maria Victoria, Maria Isabelle etc. if it's a girl. I would also go with a name taken from the combination of the parents' name, that way it will really sound and spell so unique.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have loved a name inspired by a dish or food. I know of someone who named their children Macaroni and Spaghetti. While I think that's cool, I'd choose something less weird for myself like Sage or Basil.

• 5 months later...

I've actually been tempted to go by the name August more than once, and I did go by Thrift and Masque online for a while. I think that if I were to choose a noun name now, it'd be something like Rook, Peregrine, or Kestrel - I really love bird names - or Holiday, which I just find a beautiful word and think rolls right off the tongue.