Linguaholic

What is your preferred way to teach a language?

Lacey

I taught English to children who spoke only Spanish.  I was told by my supervisors to have them read an sound out the English words. As I tried this, I realized that there was really no comprehension as they were struggling to read.  I started taking them outside and on walks around the school yard.  They learned everyday words like grass, slide, swing, flower etc.  This boosted their learning tremendously.  What is your preferred way to teach a new language?

I used to teach English when I was younger, for that I used a lot visual aids and always encouraged my students to speak the language as much as possible.  I never used Spanish or any other language, if I needed to explain something, I always did it in English. Because I believed this was a good way to emulate ''immersion''. 

We used a book, there were times we sat in a circle and just discussed some parts of the book.  I always encouraged my students to communicate with each other without fear to make mistakes.  I made it very clear it was ok to make mistakes, as long as they were willing to work on them and fix them later on.

If I were an English teacher, I'll go mostly with discussions to get the students to speak more. Speaking is an integral part to mastering a language. Most of my friends struggled in the language because they were reluctant to speak English. Topics that are of interest to them should get them to open their mouths. Of course this can only be done when they already have some knowledge of English.

I agree. That is the best place to start, in my opinion. It's much better if the words can be related to the things they represent instead of just being words on a textbook, and I think it would be especially helpful when the people learning it know what practical uses the words they are learning would entail such as daily greetings and transactions, etc. As for my favorite way to teach a language, I more or less try the same but usually just teach as each word comes up in conversation. The person I'm teaching usually just speaks in English and would usually just ask me specific words to be translated in my own native language and then asks how it would be used.

I'm no teacher and I have no experience in teaching a language to someone, but if I were to, I would definitely have the student learn the basics of the language. I would teach them basic phrases and how to pronounce important words.

Afterwards, I'd have this person hang out with another person who speaks that certain language. The student would then learn to have conversations and proper pronunciation.

I would debate different topics with my students (if I were a teacher). Depending on their English level and their age, I'd open different types of debates, starting from day to day things and ending with religion vs atheism, political debates or philosophy.

This way, I'd understand a few more things about their personalities and they would learn that language more easily.

I taught English to children who spoke only Spanish.  I was told by my supervisors to have them read an sound out the English words. As I tried this, I realized that there was really no comprehension as they were struggling to read.  I started taking them outside and on walks around the school yard.  They learned everyday words like grass, slide, swing, flower etc.  This boosted their learning tremendously.  What is your preferred way to teach a new language?

Your strategy was very smart and effective. People learn best by doing. This is exactly what I would do. I can't think of a better way to teach. I would also incorporate the watching of videos and audio-visual programs.

I'm no teacher and I have no experience in teaching a language to someone, but if I were to, I would definitely have the student learn the basics of the language. I would teach them basic phrases and how to pronounce important words.

Afterwards, I'd have this person hang out with another person who speaks that certain language. The student would then learn to have conversations and proper pronunciation.

This too is very important. What better way to learn a language that to converse in the language with someone who is already proficient in speaking the language. I've always graved this situation in real life, but I guess am not seeking hard enough to find a Spanish pal. Interaction forces the mind to think in the foreign language.

If I were an English teacher, I'll go mostly with discussions to get the students to speak more. Speaking is an integral part to mastering a language. Most of my friends struggled in the language because they were reluctant to speak English. Topics that are of interest to them should get them to open their mouths. Of course this can only be done when they already have some knowledge of English.

Essentially yes...getting the basics of the language. The basics represents the foundation. Without the foundation there can be no stable construction.