Linguaholic

Can you learn an accent?

earthmama1

Is it possible to pick up an accent without going to a different country where they speak the language? Or actually being around anyone that is native to whatever you are trying to learn? I would love to have a spanish accent when I speak it but I just cant seem to get it down.

Yes, of course. It takes some practice either in speech or thought, but it can be done. For example, my french accent has changed quite a bit since I moved to Quebec. It's transformed from a french-European accent to a slightly french-Canadian accent in a matter of years simply due to exposure.

Of course, look at actors! Some of them nail it perfectly to the point where you can't tell what their native language really is. A good example I know of is Hugh Laurie (Dr House from House MD). He's actually British

Of course, look at actors! Some of them nail it perfectly to the point where you can't tell what their native language really is. A good example I know of is Hugh Laurie (Dr House from House MD). He's actually British

Many non-American actors easily nail the American accent  :smile:

I think it is possible to learn an accent but it is not easy. I think the only way to learn an accent effectively is to live with the accent all around you and after a while you should start to pick it up without realising it. If you do not live surrounded by the accent I think it would take a lot of listening to the accent and determination to try and get it right. It is always harder with different accents and languages when there is no one to practice with around you.

Yes, but it'll take a long time to get used to it and to learn what the accent actually is.  Generally if you speak to other people in a different language than you are used to you'll pick up their accent if you do talk to them a lot.  I picked up a Korean accent, it's not perfect but it's pretty close.

Of course you can learn an accent! It's pretty much just changing the way you roll your tongue when you speak. I was born and raised in the States, but I moved to the Philippines at 12 years old. While I learned a completely new language, a new accent came along with it.

At first it was different to pronounce some Filipino words, but time grew by and I started to get the hang of saying words, then saying phrases, then eventually speaking Filipino in conversations. I actually can do both a Filipino accent and an American accent.

Yes, I think so, as evidenced by the many actors and actresses from around the world basically pretending to be American in their movies by feigning an American accent. However, I think American accents are a bit of an exception to this rule because we are all too familiar with it due to it being a sort of international language and having it so widespread through American media such as movies and TV shows. For other countries' accents, I think it's possible to copy the accent but it wouldn't sound very authentic, especially to the ears of locals.

It depends on the language.

There are some languages which no matter how hard you try to learn the accent you certainly just can't because of the way the consonants are spoken. Most people who learn French as a second language for instance find it hard to pronounce some words. That would make it impossible to learn say, a French accent of a Francophone country that has it's own unique accent.

There are various ways of learning or adopting a new accent. I experienced some differences in my accent after my visit to Ireland. I'm not a native english speaker but I got used to their accent and I managed to adopt it.

Another experience was when I travelled to Transylvania, Romania. I live in Moldova and our accent is slighlty different in comparation to the Transylvanian accent. In my opinion, the best way of learning a new accent is by living with speakers of it.

There are various ways of learning or adopting a new accent. I experienced some differences in my accent after my visit to Ireland. I'm not a native english speaker but I got used to their accent and I managed to adopt it.

Another experience was when I travelled to Transylvania, Romania. I live in Moldova and our accent is slighlty different in comparation to the Transylvanian accent. In my opinion, the best way of learning a new accent is by living with speakers of it.

There is no better way of learning an accent except by living among the people that are using the respective accent. If you have a talent in learning languages, you only need a little bit of auditory intelligence in order to learn such a thing.

To me, a single month in Australia has improved my English accent. There are a few easy to learn accents such as the aussie one. However, it's quite difficult to learn any kind of accent unless you are at least at the intermediate level of learning the language.

Absolutely! I've perfected my British, Indian, Arab, South African, Chinese, and Canadian accents. There are a few that require more practice to master. For example, nailing the British accent was pretty easy because I'm American and it's pretty easy to learn, whereas learning the South African accent was pretty difficult for me because I always ended up speaking in a British accent. I learned my Chinese and Arab ones through immersion, being around people who normally speak that way really solidified my confidence and abilities.

If we're talking about Spanish, try watching Spanish/Mexican TV series. It's a great way to get accustomed with the accent. But it helps a lot if there's someone that you can practice your speaking with. It's no use to have it in your head if when you're trying to speak your mouth does not know how to help.

This is something I've wondered about a lot. I've been fascinated with accents for a long time, I think it started when I was 9 years old and the first Harry Potter movie came out. I was (still am!) obsessed with Harry Potter and I loved hearing the accents in the movie.

I would love to learn multiple accents, starting with some sort of English accent. I think it might not be all that hard for me if I had a lot of exposure to whatever the accent I'm trying to learn because after I rewatch a Harry Potter movie I accidentally start saying words with an English accent!

You'd think more people would try to learn an accent but I guess if you're not around people with the same accent it would be difficult to keep it up.

Is it possible to pick up an accent without going to a different country where they speak the language? Or actually being around anyone that is native to whatever you are trying to learn? I would love to have a spanish accent when I speak it but I just cant seem to get it down.

Yes, anyone can learn an accent. I guess it has to do with your intellectual readiness and ease of learning. I personally find it easy to pick up accents. Accent is very important, because you don't want to seem out of place. Practice and practice and practice.  :wink:

Oh it is definitely possible! You can even learn without being actually in a country with that accent. I have a friend who is quite talented at copying accents just from shows he's seen. It is much easier though if you are constantly exposed to the accent.

I think it will be hard for me to learn an accent. To get an accent you have to start speaking in it. The opportunity to speak in a foreign language is very less. I often feel so intimidated by an unknown language also.

Yes, yes you can! A simple example is to look at any stand up comedian or actor, they'll definitely put on accents for certain characters, like the 'muurican and the British Queens English person and Mr Sum Ting Wong the chinese man.