Linguaholic

Flirting in a foreign language

Dora M

A little while ago I came across a Spanish phrasebook. I had to laugh out loud when I got to the section where they explain how to deal with romantic situations. I have tried some of those phrases with great success, just not the kind I was hoping for...

One of my favourites is : "Quiero ser un bombon para derretirme en tu boca..." (correct me if I wrote it wrong)

And PS: Could you please teach some really original ones? I need to try them out on my boyfriend.  :wink:

LOL, very good one, I am sure your boyfriend loved that one!  :grin:

I think that flirting in a foreign language is great, better than doing it in our native language. Check out English for example, they love so easily, love this, love that, while in Portuguese amor is a much harder word to say...

Flirting in a foreign language especially when your interlocutor recognizes that you're learning a language can be great. They could play along, just to make fun of you and for your part you won't have self-consciousness  impede you flirtations because he, you learn by speaking. If someone turns you away, you could always proceed straight to the next person you see and get on with the game. . .

It's a very difficult thing in my opinion. Not only that it requires a vast vocabulary, but you also need a lot of self confidence. Personally, I've never tried such a thing even if I had the chance.

Maybe one day, I'll try it too. Maybe I'll also succeed. However, I find it very difficult to have a relationship with a foreign partner unless you master her/his language.

Spanish is a favorite language of mine. I'm currently in the process of learning the language (formative stages); so to be honest, I don't really know how to flirt or be romantic. I guess it comes with time...and situation as well. If I find myself with a Spanish girl, I may have to think up something quick por la chica

My girlfriend likes it when I speak Italian, I don't know much Italian yet and she does not speak it but there's just something about it I guess. It is quite a passionate language if that makes sense and I do enjoy the little of it I can currently speak.

Cheesy pick up lines don't sound so cheesy in foreign languages somehow, they sound pretty cool or exotic instead. Of course, only the ones I can understand. The ones I don't understand just make me go ??? and question the dude who would use a german joke to flirt with.

Flirting with somebody in an unfamiliar language is risky. A simple mistake could certainly ruin your chances. To be honest, unless the other person doesn't understand your native tongue at all, I think you'd be better off sticking to your language.

It's funny how academic most responses are here. Has passion and fun gone out the window with all that hard study of grammar and vocabulary?

I think every day you open your mouth and say something you run the risk of acceptance or rejection, be that in your native tongue or in a foreign language. I personally just talk in whatever language I can to get what I want. I'll even talk with arms and legs if necessary.  :smile:

This actually sounds like fun! A unique way of learning a language! Although the words you do learn might be of limited practical value.  :tongue: But it does sound much more fun than learning with your typical "good morning" and "how are you" phrases  :wink:

I saw a few flirtatious phrases when I first started learning Japanese as well, and I also found them a bit funny because the English translations felt a bit too literal, I could tell. It's why I never dared to utter the phrases out loud to people even if I did find them so amusing that I memorized them and still remember them now many years later.

It's a great way of entertainment to flirt in a foreign language, I think we all did it at some point in our lives. I still remember being a "kid" and know the sentence ich liebe dich, knowing that it was something flirty lol!

I imagine that flirting in a foreign language can be very difficult! A lot of flirting relies on jokes, sarcasm, double meanings and even sometimes being a bit mean in a joking way. I speak French, but I don't know if I would be able to flirt in French. There is so much slang and sexual words that I don't understand, I feel as if I would be completely lost!

I have to admit that I have a very hard time flirting in another language. The main reason that it is difficult for me is that I have to think about it too much and because of that I lose a lot when it comes to the emotion that goes along with speaking.

One of my favourites is : "Quiero ser un bombon para derretirme en tu boca..." (correct me if I wrote it wrong)

Lol, that's a really odd pick up line!  Kinda rude depending on where you come from, in my country if you said that to someone, specially a woman, there is a huge chance she would slap you right away.  I'd not blame her because I'd probably do exactly the same!  This phrase has some sexual connotations, or should I say a lot?  I'd never dare to use it.

Thanks for the good laugh  :wink:

I would be terrified to flirt with someone in a second language evens after I had mastered it. Some things just don't translate the same and i would be afraid I come across as rude or be laughed at. No thank you I will stick to embarrassing myself in my first language.