Linguaholic

Where to start when learning a new language?

Sandman

As the title suggests, what would be a good place to start when one is taking on a languge, learning individual words, greetings or commonly used phrases? Also what can one do about learning the correct pronouciation of foreign words if one does not have a native of said language to speak to? So any tip's or tricks/tecniques for people taking on a new language for the first are welcome here. Thanks guys.

I think watching videos/movies in the lanuguage you're interested in learning would be a good option to start with, you can also start reading and listening to commentry etc. And if you can find a few people to talk to, that'll be of a huge help.

You can try reading some children's book to begin with, then moving up to regular novels. You might have problems finding foreign language materials at your library, but most bookstores have at least a few children's books in different languages.

If you're looking for an online resource, Project Gutenberg contains thousands of books (in several languages) online that you can download for free.

You can sometimes find videos on Youtube that are specifically for beginners.  These can be quite helpful.   

Otherwise you could try books or cartoons intended for kids and go from there.

I'd personally start watching videos online and joining forums such as these to get some supplementary information and support for what I've learned on the videos. In my opinion, videos are a lot easier to pick up since you'd pretty much get all the information you'd need in just a few minutes, given that the video is well made enough.

It depends on how fast you want to learn. If you are the casual learner browse the net for free contents.

If you're in a rush to learn it some intensive school is the best option, there are schools with daily classes where we can learn really fast.