Linguaholic

Favorite Non-Explicit Insults?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I wonder if retard is an explicit language. I think it's a great way to insult somebody without resorting to swearing. I think retard doesn't mean as offensive as people thought it is, I don't get why some get so upset about it.

For some reason, I prefer the 'insult their parents' route, like yo mamma jokes and the famous monty python "your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries" line. And things like "you're so dense you would suck a black hole in"

Some examples of non-explicit insults I'm thinking of are things like dork, cornball, and butterball.

What are some of your favorites?

LOL, I find these pretty insulting to be honest, but sometimes it's not the word itself, but the tone in which the person refers to me or other person, sometimes that is even more insulting.

I think it's interesting that if you call someone "boy" in a certain manner, it's like an insult. ("You don't know what you're talking about, boy.") This not be the case with all dialects of English, though. I'm not sure  :wacky:

I never use explicit words because there are other ways to express myself or get back at someone. I think one of the most insulting thing to do to a person is to tell them to shut up, scram or get a life. I don't normally do it but I have heard it been done several times and have seen it really gotten the receiver really pumped up.

I tend to call people something to do with a "bum", although I'm not sure if that qualifies as explicit or not! I tend to use "bumhead" and "bum" a lot when I am insulting someone. Although I do usually put an explicit word before I use the more appropriate one!

I think it's interesting that if you call someone "boy" in a certain manner, it's like an insult. ("You don't know what you're talking about, boy.") This not be the case with all dialects of English, though. I'm not sure  :wacky:

Yes, I find it annoying as heck when someone calls me a boy, rookie, slick, and junior. They think just because they're at it longer, it automatically makes them the expert on things. :angry:

Haha I do like it when people call me nerd. It's actually more of a compliment for me than an insult. I'm like thanks! haha

Yes. that's a very good point.  Sometimes insults may be compliments, there can be a fair amount of subjectivity.  I too would also take "nerd" as a compliment.  I think over time, the word has lost its stigma and it is more of a badge of honor. 

At the same time,  I think the opposite is also true.  We may call someone by a term that's descriptive or commonly used and based on a person's life history and experiences they may perceive it differently. 

For example, I had a friend who took "army brat" as an insult and would get very upset if anyone called him such.  It was true that he was from a military family, but the experience of moving around constantly and never being able to have long-term friendships was painful to him and so when someone would call him an "army brat" it would bring up those memories.

In an ideal world, of course, it would be best if we were not insulting each other!  :)

Appreciate if English British native speakers could shed some light to this: what is and when do you actually use the word 'ruddy' as an expletive (if this word is expletive at all)?

• 4 weeks later...

UP YOURS! I found myself saying that a lot through out my high school years even in class and only got a mean look from teachers because it really wasn't vulgar.

Do phrases count? If so, I've encountered the following once or twice in my life. I know some of them are borrowed from pop-culture though so they must be pretty popular:

• Before I knew you, I was pro-life.
  • You have no redeeming qualities. (Ouch!)
  • You're funny... but looks aren't everything. - it tells the person being insulted that he isn't funny, his face is!
  • (Are you) Anne Frank's drum set - Anne Frank had to hide from the Nazis so a drum set would have been useless for her.

I like calling people nonsensical things, because it usually confuses them so much to the point that they don't know whether you're insulting them or complimenting them. Some examples would be: Turnip, Farfanoogin, mail-box, bean-bag. I'm not sure if this would help non-native speakers though...Actually, it would be brilliant, because people would think that you were confusing your nonsensical word with a real word and would be just fill in the blanks themselves, haha!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if it's considered non-explicit, but here's a small list of my go-to insults when I'm not allowed to swear  :speechless:

• Chowderhead
  • Thick-headed balloon face
  • Moldy-barf breath

Although I've found that keeping it simple and honest makes the most impact.

Source: was honestly and simply insulted  :sad:

I agree with what you say. It is a very big insult here. In my native language, Jamaican Creole, If you want a fist fight then you call an adult male a 'bwoy'(boy in English) or an adult female a gal.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more a fan of the eloquent/graceful insult than the non-explicit one. For example: "Why are you complimenting him? Have we run out of human beings?" is a favourite that I use all the time. It makes your victim wonder what exactly to say, since they never saw that coming!

This entire topic reminds me of how I would make fun of my brother, we come up with the strangest insults for each other as well, such as:

• Broccoli Head
  • Little Bird
  • Avocado Face

The list can go on, but a lot of our insults are around food for some reason. It actually gets pretty fun after a while when we go back and forth and see what we come up with. We usually end up laughing in the end haha.