Linguaholic

Songs in another language

earthmama1

If we are talking sounds only I love Celtic and Chinese melodies, but when lyrics are concerned I think English is the best language, I've picked up a lot of vocabulary listening to songs in English.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the funny thing about another language songs is that until you don't understand (sometimes really stupid) lyrics, you like them :grin: Anyway this is amazing way to improve language! I really like French songs even I don't actually learn French. Sometimes I sit down and try, look at lyrics and try to sing with the artist (I know it must sounds terrible!) but after all I realized I remember some French words!

This is my most favorite song: http://www.lyriczz.com/lyrics/edith-piaf/44273-milord/

Well I'm a music lover so as long as the music sounds good and relaxing then I don't mind what the language is and whether I understand it or not :D I have a lot of music on my laptop that I do not understand but I love listening to.

I certainly enjoy songs sung various languages. It is not only the lyrics of a song which make it good. it is a combination of tempo, rhythm, lyrics and vocals, which produce a successful song.

Yes, of course! The first example that comes to mind is k-pop. While I do enjoy the songs, I can't understand the least bit of it, apart for when there are little bits in english. It doesn't mean I enjoy singing along to them any less though. It just means I'm probably making a really big fool of myself!  :laugh:

I'm a huge fan of Japanese music, but I suppose that doesn't really count for this, since I am studying japanese, and I do understand a bit of it...

I used to listen to a lot of german music before and when i was studying german too, and I still find that german operas/chorales/music overall is quite amazing, even if I don't listen to it very often.

I also find that many other types of asian music is quite awesome compared to european/american music, at least when it comes to pop-music. I tend to absolutely hate all kinds of pop music from europe and america, but for some reason Asia tends to produce some good pop songs every now and then. And well, I don't currently have any plans on learning any other Asian languages than japanese, but that might change in the future. So... What I mean with that is, I don't understand any other asian languages at all, and I don't think I will ever learn any other asian language, but their music is still great.

There are some languages that I just can't stand to hear in songs though.

There are some languages that I just can't stand to hear in songs though.

Which languages are you referring to Lasonax?  :wink:

Actually I feel the same about Asian Pop Music: I also kind of enjoy Asian Pop Music, while, at the same, really hating European Pop. However, I am not sure whether Asian Pop Music is really better than European Pop Music in terms of Quality, Lyrics, and so on...it's maybe just that it is in a foreign language that makes it somehow special or let's say more magic  :wacky:

Yes, definitely, but I mostly look up their lyrics' translation. I've been listening to some turkish songs  recently and I really liked them, but I was a little disapointed by the translations.

I like a number of Chinese and Japanese songs, even though I can't actually understand a lot of what they say - I definitely always look up the translations, though!

After listening for a while, you start to pick up what certain words mean, at least.

About a quarter of the songs that I hear on the radio or from a local neighbor are in a different language and I cant understand what they are saying. After spending hours on finding the translation of them, I cat understand now why they were all singing to it.