Linguaholic

Favorite book character?

angelicagapit

Honestly, though A Series of Unfortunate Events is sort of a children's series, I've loved it growing up. I thought it was more mature and complex as compared to other children's books.

It's mysterious and the characters are actually quite incredible. My favorite character in those books was Violet. She was clever, unique, and very caring.

All characters are amazing, but Violet was the one that made me appreciate the books in a whole new light.

• 1 month later...

My favorite is Percy Jackson. He's the Seaweed Brain, son of Poseidon (from Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series)

I've actually gotten annoyed with this trend of first-person stories in young adult fantasy...but I think it works really, really well for Percy Jackson. I love his character voice, and how he's basically positioned to be the best storyteller, not necessarily the star or hero of the story.

But right now, my favorite character is Tybalt from the October Daye series. It's strange because I don't usually like snarky bad boys, and he's not even entirely human, he's a fairy cat-person...but I think he plays off October really well. I'm only starting on the third one in the series, but I hope they get a proper date some time, even though Tybalt is so immature about it, like, "He likes you, that's why he wants to pull on your pigtails."

I can't think of a favorite character now but I've also read A series of Unfortunate Events. My favorite Character in the story happens to be Klaus, for all he went through with Count Olaf he managed to pull through. He was just smart.

Miles Vorkosigan in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. He's hysterically funny, and very flawed, but he thinks his way out of situations, and I enjoy the variety of characters in her books.

I also like Wax and Wayne from Brandon's Sanderson's Mistborn: Alloy of Law.

I've actually gotten annoyed with this trend of first-person stories in young adult fantasy...but I think it works really, really well for Percy Jackson. I love his character voice, and how he's basically positioned to be the best storyteller, not necessarily the star or hero of the story.

But right now, my favorite character is Tybalt from the October Daye series. It's strange because I don't usually like snarky bad boys, and he's not even entirely human, he's a fairy cat-person...but I think he plays off October really well. I'm only starting on the third one in the series, but I hope they get a proper date some time, even though Tybalt is so immature about it, like, "He likes you, that's why he wants to pull on your pigtails."

I get you, It gets annoying sometimes. Especially when someone justifies why it's his fave character just because he's the main prptagonist. But I really love Percy. I love how he leads even if sometimes he's really dumb. Haha. I like that he's not that perfect character.

Sherlock Holmes. I always found him to be one of the best characters I've ever read I grew up reading his books and now I'm playing games of Sherlock Holmes and watching movies and series too.  :shy:

• 4 months later...

My favorite character from a book is Brandy Alexander from the novel "Invisible Monsters". I love how she was portrayed in the book. Her character feels so solid, has some down flops but still pretty interesting character. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hannibal Lecter would be one of my favorite ones. He is very interesting and I think the movie only made me like him even more. It's of course absurd for a killer to seem lovable but this is what makes the character so great because you really shouldn't feel any affection for him at all but you somehow are able to find some charm in him.

• 1 month later...

James Bolivar Degris from Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series. He's the perfect mix of swashbuckler, mastermind, and scoundrel, has a wicked sense of humor, and in general perfectly embodies the "rogue with a heart of gold" archetype. I haven't read the entire series, but I always keep an eye out for books I haven't read when I visit used bookstores.

• 2 weeks later...

I will never forget reading the story of Oliver Twist when I was a child. I would cry when he got hurt. I did not put the book down until I finished reading the book. I was so happy when Oliver Twist was given a good home by a good person. Books have a lot of power to influence anyone who reads them. It happens more so when we are kids; these stories help shape us to be better persons I believe.

I'd say Poirot but I've only see the show for his related-novels so I cannot yet say that character though I'm sure it might change to him soon and I'd like to make a not of that before saying my favorite character from written work: Sherlock Holmes. I love mystery novels and as such most of my heroes from novels are detectives.

• 1 month later...

I will go with Oliver twist in the book titled the same. He was a courageous orphaned boy who went through great trials until he finally found a happy home with a good gentleman. My mom read the book for us when we were children and I will never forget how I would cry when Oliver twist went through problems. I walked the journey with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Snow, A Song of Ice and Fire book series (More commonly known as HBO's "A Game of Thrones")

He was a bastard child, left to fend for himself. He takes a pledge and heads up into the wintery hellhole that is "The Wall" where he's berated and cut down until eventually through testing, trials, he becomes the Lord Commander there. It's a nice story of how even lowborn people can rise to a high station if well respected.

• 7 months later...

My favorite book is definitely The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I could somehow relate to the main character in the story who is named Holden Caulfield. I was sort of a depressed teenager in high school, and I felt kind of out of touch with reality. So yeah, if I am going to pick a favorite book character, it would absolutely be Holden. We just have so much in common; he is a guy though, and I am a girl. :)

My favorite book is definitely The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I could somehow relate to the main character in the story who is named Holden Caulfield. I was sort of a depressed teenager in high school, and I felt kind of out of touch with reality. So yeah, if I am going to pick a favorite book character, it would absolutely be Holden. We just have so much in common; he is a guy though, and I am a girl. :)

Wow, as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of Holden Caulfield! I was full of teenage angst too and could really relate to him.

Atticus Finch, from To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is another favourite. Seriously, how can you NOT love Atticus?

Daenerys Targaryen and Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. They were amazing on the TV Series, but even better on the books. Daenerys is just awesome, while Cersei leans more towards the more intriguing side. She is also very blunt (she was rather filtered n the TV series for God knows what reason), which I absolutely love.

Another favorite would be Amy Dunne from Gone Girl, but unfortunately I can't say much without spoiling the book for everyone. But she's a genius - that's all I'm gonna say.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a number of favorite book characters from the classics - Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice), Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre), Pip (Great Expectations), Sebastian (Twelfth Night) and Aragorn (LOTR trilogy) to name a few - to historical romance (mostly Victoria Holt's heroines) to contemporary fantasy novels (maybe Ron from Harry Potter and Hazel from TFIOS). I don't really choose characters but in the course of reading books, I encounter characters that share my views or convictions. Without actually meaning to, I end up liking them.

• 3 weeks later...

So many but for Harry Potter it will always be Sirius Black. I feel like he never had a shot of living a full life and if he did, I think he would have made the most amazing adventures. I cried when he was killed off. I was JK Rowling would make a short stories collection of Sirius' life as a teenager. That would be amazing to read!

• 3 weeks later...

Atticus Finch. But I understand his transformation in the second book was not well-received (which is why I refuse to read it). Nevertheless, in To Kill A Mockingbird, he was the man that everyone with a Y-chromosome should aspire to be. He wasn't a helicopter parent, yet he managed to raise well-adjusted, bright kids because he lived by example. He wasn't the stereotypical glib and double-talking lawyer, but he was still an effective one (that heartbreaking Tom Robinson loss notwithstanding).

Daenerys Targaryen and Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. They were amazing on the TV Series, but even better on the books. Daenerys is just awesome, while Cersei leans more towards the more intriguing side. She is also very blunt (she was rather filtered n the TV series for God knows what reason), which I absolutely love.

Interesting Deanery and Cersei are your favorite characters, yet your username is Tyrell and you have a picture of Margaery as your avatar :P 

I'm finishing book three and so far I'm not a fan of either. I kinda like Arya though.

But, my favorite book character is from another book series. Roland Deschain (pronounced des-chain) is the main character of Stephen King's epic The Dark Tower.