Linguaholic

Learned vs learnt

Litnax

I've read somewhere that 'learnt’ is more common in British English, and ‘learned’ in American English. So does that mean American English rarely use 'learnt' in writing?  :confused:

You're right. Learned is used in American English and learnt is used in British English. For regular social interactions though it probably won't make much difference.

Yes, learned is American while learnt is British. Both are correct and can be used when conversing in English. Actually, I think that learned has become more mainstream than learnt. I've seen more people use learned than learnt nowadays. Personally, I prefer learned even though I studied British English because I think it's less confusing.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, there are always variations in the spelling of certain words both in american and british english, one of those words is the past tense of ''learn''.  I personally like to use ''Learnt'', because in my head is the version that makes more sense and it sounds way better than ''learned''.  I know those two are right, but for some reason ''learnt'' sounds and loo more right to me.

Other words that are spelled different:

Centre = Center

Colour = Color

Favour = Favor

There are many more :)  My grammar correction software points those words as ''wrong'', but I know they aren't, it can be so confusing for those who have no idea about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I was taught that "learned" is the past tense and "learnt" is the past participle. So they are actually pretty much the same in terms of of we use them?

Let's try with a few examples:

Would we use "A learned professor" or  "A learnt professor"?

"A lesson learned" or "A lesson learnt"?

"I learned this before" or "I learnt this before"?

Different regions may have different answers >_>

I've read somewhere that 'learnt’ is more common in British English, and ‘learned’ in American English. So does that mean American English rarely use 'learnt' in writing?  :confused:

Correct. The same applies to dreamt. It might make the language rather difficult to grapple with for someone learning it, because clearly even English speakers get confused, but I personally like that the '-t' instead of '-ed' adds some variety that's still correct and romantically archaic.

I'm an American, but I've read quite a few books written by British authors. As a result, though I don't spell it "centre" or "colour", I'll quite happily use "dreamt" when I think it looks better than dreamed.

There's another one that I do as well, that I can't remember what it is, but it drives some people crazy since my writing isn't fully British or fully American.  :grin:

Yes, I write in American English and I have to say I don't use 'learnt' much.

• 1 month later...

You are perfectly right. British English is what is acceptable here. We never say learned. Most people who are not familiar with it being American English would most likely give you an X for using it.