Linguaholic

How much did it take for you to learn a new language?

Mafdet

Hello guys,

It's always a great motivator when somebody says they've learned a new language very fast. I gives you confidence that it's not going to be impossible for you is somebody else did it. So I'd like to know how much time it took for you to learn a new language. Most of use learned a new language in school and I guess we should not refer to those cases.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it is easy to get started learning a new language, the hard part is sticking to it.  Some people learning a language get burned out quickly because they hit a roadblock or struggle a bit.  A tip I have to prevent this is dedicate an hour or so a day (one day do vocabulary, another day do grammar, etc.).  Strive to make things interesting for yourself.  At the end of the week, quiz yourself on the information you have learned already or put it into practice by talking with a native speaker.  There are endless possibilities to break the habit of quitting too early.

I agree with Nyandroid, it's easy to learn a few phrases like "where is the toilet", "hello", "goodbye" and "thank you", but learning more nouns and complex grammer can get to be tough, and people can give up easily or just not use the language so it gets rusty and they forget what little they learned. In the end they're back to square one, so if there's no motivation it's going to be hard for them.

For me it is an ongoing study. Even though I can write and converse fluently in several different languages, I still think that I have a lot to learn. I like to be able to talk with people about every subject and, I admit, when it comes to exploring certain more rarefied or academic subjects, particularly in the Spanish language, I find my vocabulary doesn't quite measure up yet. So, I just keep on learning. :-)

Well, English is taught and used regularly in schools in my country, so learning it doesn't count. Right now I'm casually trying to learn Spanish and German, and I'm assuming that it may take around 2 years or more for a person to be decently fluent in a particular language.