Linguaholic

Can you recommend any good biographies/autobiographies?

g2narat

I love reading about other people's lives. I love the lessons they learn from their struggles and the emotions they feel during their journeys. A biography/autobiography doesn't even have to be of a famous person to catch my attention. In fact the latest ones I read were both from relatively unknown people. Can you recommend a few one to add to my reading list?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Fancy reading "Henry Darrow: Lightning in the Bottle"?

Enrique Tomás Delgado or better known as Henry Darrow is a Puerto Rican-American actor of stage and film, best remembered for his role as Manolito Montoya on the 1960s television series The High Chaparral. He is greatly instrumental in helping Latino actors land non-stereotyped parts.

I really enjoyed reading Anne Frank's diary, I know isn't an autobiography (at least not a complete one), but the emotions portrayed by her day to day made of that reading a really meaningful one.  Me and my mother were amazed at the strength and maturity this girl was already showing at such an early age, truly admirable!  I think everyone should read this book, because we could all learn a couple of lessons and possibly some food for the thought.

This year I was pleased to visit Anne Frank's house, and felt so nice to see bits of her diary on the walls of that please and references to the diary almost everywhere else. If you ever go there... you should really read the diary first!  It makes you understand everything much better!

I liked how she kept her hope almost until the end (until she lost her sister, she thought she had lost it all), but during most of the time she was locked inside she kept her hope alive.

Wow! Thanks for these suggestions, I'll have to look these up. A friend of mine also suggested Resilience but I forgot the author. When I tried searching for it, the results weren't what she had mentioned. Oh well, I'll just have to ask her again. Thanks again!  :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab is My Washpot, detailing his first 20 years of life, is one of the finest books I've had the pleasure of reading. I also greatly enjoyed Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Rock Star, but that's more a collection of anecdotes rather than a chronologic telling of his life.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab is My Washpot, detailing his first 20 years of life, is one of the finest books I've had the pleasure of reading. I also greatly enjoyed Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Rock Star, but that's more a collection of anecdotes rather than a chronologic telling of his life.

Oh Grumpy Old Rockstar sounds really fun actually! I've already read an autobiography of Ozzy Osbourne and I thought it was hilarious. I hope to enjoy your suggestion too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would second Anne Frank's Diary, it was a very good book filled with the emotion of a younger girl. It was quite sad to realize the reality of it though.

I have read the originally published version. I heard that Anne's father left out a lot though. It's quite understandable though as most of the parts he left out were the racy parts. Of course as Anne's father he was probably uncomfortable sharing that with strangers.

I have read the originally published version. I heard that Anne's father left out a lot though. It's quite understandable though as most of the parts he left out were the racy parts. Of course as Anne's father he was probably uncomfortable sharing that with strangers.

I read the original version also.  The first time I read it was a teenager closer to Anne Frank's age and it made a strong impression on me.  I was quite haunted by it, to think of all that she went through and of her tragic end.  No other word for it but haunting.

I'm so glad that the book was published, even if her father did sanitize it in the original version.  It is such a powerful narrative of that era especially now, so many decades later when it's easy to forget such atrocities.  But her words serve to remind us. 

In that sense it is autobiography at its finest even though it was never meant to be such.  She was a teenager keeping a diary.