Linguaholic

Where did you learn to read Hangul?

Nyandroid

I first got acquainted with the Korean language in 2010.  I won't go into too much detail here, but I have been enjoying it ever since.  Hangul was pretty easy for me to learn.  I used a pretty basic flash game for memorizing called: http://www.aeriagloris.com/LearnKorean/

I know it doesn't offer much functionality in terms of features, but it helped me get started in a simple way.

What applications or games have you used to learn Hangul?

Thankyou for posting this. I do alright when it comes to learning to speak words and phases but reading Hangul has been a real challenge. While I have progressed in other areas when it come to learning korean, I have been a a stand still with my reading progression. This is going to be such a great help.

Firstly, you are welcome!  If you don't mind me asking, what other areas have you progressed in?  Also, do you watch Korean TV Shows to further your ability to speak and know Korean phrases?  If you are good at memorizing I also suggest joining the site: memrise.com (interactive flash cards, increase your vocabulary, and add mnemonic devices to help you memorize).  Personally, I think learning hangul helped me advance my vocabulary and plus typing english letters can be a daunting task when you could have used hangul :).

• 8 months later...

I knew of a few words, but I didn't really start learning until a day or so after joining Linguaholic and realizing it was a language I wanted to learn. So, I suppose I started learning the basics to everything here. However, I'm still also using apps to assist with my continued learning of the language as well as this subforum.

• 1 year later...

To answer the question who threw out in the title, I learned to read through rote memorization. I didn't use any games or fun apps, I just Google imagined the Korean alphabet and spent a day connecting the characters to its English equivalent. I also broke down Korean words I often saw into its letters and mentally webbed it to its romanizations. I think it was something I sort of just picked up naturally. Through practicing my Hangul on every Korean word I came across, it made the process of learning that much quicker.

Thanks for posting this, this will help me a lot to memorize the Korean alphabet.  Hopefully when I get better at Korean I can try reading Hangul subtitles along with the English when I watch dramas.  I find that I switching half of them and forgetting the others.  I'm going to mix this with my flashcard training.  Then I can move on to words.