Linguaholic

What is the most useful language for where you live?

kate23

I thought it would be interesting to see what languages are most useful for where you live.

For instance, I live in Florida so Spanish is definitely the most useful language to know here, aside from English of course.

I live in Davao and most people here speak Visayan. The problem with that is not everyone here is a native of Davao (myself included) so Tagalog is still the most useful if you want to make sure that everyonbe understands you. Although just like most parts of the Philippines you can survive with just knowing English.

I live in Baguio. Actually our place is a special case, almost all languages in our area are important because Baguio is a culturally diversified place where everyone including foreigners and people all over the Philippines come to. English is the primary language that most people in our place speak. Next of course is either Filipino or Ilocano. These three languages are the most important ones that one must understand and speak in order to survive and thrive in Baguio City. It is also called the summer capital of the Philippines where tourists flock in to see the Flower Festival and the Cold climate.

I live in South India and here people speak mostly Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada or Telugu. I think Hindi is recognized in all over India, so knowing Hindi and one more regional language will be very useful for communication.

In Switzerland we have four official languages: German, French, Italian and some minor language called 'Rätoromanisch'. Depending on where you are living, it is crucial that you know either French, German or Italian. If you know two of them, let's say German and French, you will be fine almost everywhere in Switzerland. If you know English, you will also be understood (by the younger population).

I find in most of my travels that the most useful language is always English. It seems to be the second language of the majority of people whom I have encountered. Wherever I went, I have always been able to find my way around by speaking English with others. I even get addressed in English in my home country, where people speak German. So, I would say it is definitely English.

I live in Singapore, which is multiracial country. While there are many languages spoken, English is definitely the most useful language here, followed by Chinese.

The main language of instruction in Singapore is English. Also, understanding English is definitely essential to succeed in the business environment here.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Jamaica and the most useful language for where I live is Jamaican Creole, the language that most natives grow up hearing :cool:. The English language is taught in schools but most natives do not practice to speak it, they'll only write in English if it is for something formal. We have many tourists of different tongue  coming into our country but since they are not in the general area we are not impacted to know their language either.

English and Filipino are both useful where I live. I live in the Philippines and majority of the population are bilingual. Those from the provinces have additional dialects but most still speak in Filipino and understand English.

Being a Filipino, Tagalog is the most important language and the most universal language in our country. English also competes with Tagalog so I think they are the 2 most important and used language in our country. Some people who can't figure out English words to use in their sentences substitute it for Tagalog that's why we have words that are Taglish meaning a combination of Tagalog and English. We also have other languages like Ilocano, Ifontoc, Pangasinense, Bisaya and other native languages which are used by a certain place.

This is really a no-brainer for me as I live in Portugal, so Portuguese is the most useful language. Having this said, English is more and more necessary because we have lots of foreigners here and English is the universal language, like in any other part of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

English is the most useful language in my place. We use it for business here a lot. And also my personal life has a lot to do with the English language.