Linguaholic

Do books/tv shows inspire you to learn new languages?

kate23

I've noticed that a lot of times series that I love inspire me to learn a language, like Harry Potter and Lost inspired me to learn Latin and Percy Jackson inspired me to learn Greek.

Anyone else the same way?

Indirectly maybe. If, for example, you're watch a TV show that you like but don't understand what's being said or you get just a little bit [enough to pique your interest in the show] then to fully enjoy the show and others like it, you could, for the satisfaction of your craving, want to learn the language . . .

Well, sort of. I remember that someone once gave me a book where the characters spoke Spanish from time to time. The title of the book was The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It wasn't the best book I've ever read and to be honest I've already forgotten most parts. It did, however, make me curious about the Spanish language and I put some effort into searching the meaning of the conversations. I can't say I actually learned Spanish from it, but I did catch some phrases and words.

TV Shows and Movies actually inspire me a lot to learn new languages. When I saw the Horror movie, The Eye which was acted out by Jessica Alba and the Disney movie Ratatouie, the French language sounded very good to me and inspired me to want to learn French, right now though I only know few words which include Hello's and Goodbye's and maybe if I have free time after graduation I would take time to learn French since it is a very interesting and sounding language.

Yeah, I think it just triggers something. Like how music can be an opening into being interested in the culture and language of a country.

It's also just purely about being exposed to the language. For instance, last year I read the book Speaker for the Dead and there was a lot of Portuguese in it and that piqued my interest in Portuguese. I just hadn't given it a lot of thought before.

In some way yes, I decided to learn a language and wanting to understand movies and books in said language was one of the reasons that made me do it. Being able to understand what some parts of the novel are writing about is a nice bonus but it wasn't a major influence.