Linguaholic

Do you have a language preference?

Dora M

I was born in Austria and grew up bilingual. We spoke German and Serbo-Croatian at home. I can't say that I have a preference for any particular language, they are all beautiful and useful to me in their own way. But I have a special affinity with the German language and its unique way of expression, especially in literature. I like the way how there is plenty of room to experiment with words to create a particular intensity that occasionally takes my breath away. And I think: how was the writer able to exactly describe a feeling or situation with those precise words?

I guess that's a big part of it, that sense of precision that appeals to me.

In comparison, I find the English language more "flowery" or gentle. It might sound strange, but I somehow feel more "rounded" within the English language, whereas German pushes me to ever greater mental challenges. I need both in life. :-)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I am Portuguese and Portuguese is my preferred language!  :wacky:

Apart from Portuguese I manage to speak English and Spanish, but I have no special preferences. I deslike French for some reason, the sound seems to bother me, it's something I can't explain.

I find that although my native language is Arabic, I very much prefer to speak in English, especially after having lived the majority of my life in English speaking countries.  I often find myself thinking in English, translating other languages to English etc.  So I would say that English is my preferred language and is definitely the dominant one.

I probably have a preference for English, but I honestly use slang that mishmashes all the languages that everyone uses in my home country, we just use all the phrases that are the most apt for every situation. SO I think I probably have no preference, but the base language is still English.

I've always loved the idea of learning Latin since it is the basis for many languages and would make learning them, and even understanding words in our own language (English) easier and more fun.

I live in Southern California and there are a lot of Spanish speakers here, so I figure I should learn that language. I feel ridiculous in some ways that I do not know it already. I did take 2 years in high school and a semester in college, but that was over 30 years ago and I only recall bits and pieces at this time.

I'm a native Spanish speaker, but surprisingly enough Spanish isn't my language of preference at all!  I actually prefer English over Spanish!  I don't really know why, I guess I like how clean and simple English is.  I like the simplicity of this language, I love the fact it has no genders! 

Some people here think I'm crazy but I actually find easier to communicate in English than in Spanish.  Could it be because I use English every day almost the whole day?  It could be, but it could also be because some things sound way better in English than in Spanish.

In our country some people are have a colonial mentality mindset wherein they think that other's culture, products, language is better than theirs. It's a xenocentric view of culture where they pick foreign culture rather than their own native one. Although for me I still find Filipino equal with the English language because it is our national language. I love my fellow Filipinos but I don't like how they treat each other which is again in tuned with the Crab Mentality mindset wherein they try to pull their fellow Filipino's down. These are the mindset which are awful and we've picked them up from other cultures.

My native language (Romanian) is my favorite. However, I enjoy narrating in English. It's very useful when you need to add a bit of action to the plot.

But when it comes to philosophy and debates, I would rather use Romanian.

I'm a native Spanish speaker, but surprisingly enough Spanish isn't my language of preference at all!  I actually prefer English over Spanish!  I don't really know why, I guess I like how clean and simple English is.  I like the simplicity of this language, I love the fact it has no genders! 

Some people here think I'm crazy but I actually find easier to communicate in English than in Spanish.  Could it be because I use English every day almost the whole day?  It could be, but it could also be because some things sound way better in English than in Spanish.

Trellum, you just made me smile. I was thinking only the other day that some things can only ever be said in Spanish to have full impact and effect. I couldn't imagine them in any other language. Well, perhaps Italian, but that seems like a "softer" version, quiet melodic, even in the heat of an argument. I love the force that comes through the Spanish language. There is something resolute and definite about it, often enhanced by a lot of hand gesticulations, emotion and drama. It's that fire that appeals to me. Would you say that there is "fire" in the English language?

English is what I prefer. It is my first language and thus it comes with a certain level of ease compared to the other languages I've been learning over the years. I have learned how to not only communicate verbally with English but have learned other subtleties like body language and such that have also improved my communication. It'd be great to one day be comfortable enough with the French language to speak it when I travel to Europe though! Only time will tell!