Linguaholic

Pronunciation

Pink Glitter

How would you rate your pronunciation ? Do Korean words come easily for you or do you struggle to get the sounds and accent right? Do you have a special way of practicing , is there someone you available to help you improve?

• 8 months later...

Thus far, my actual pronunciation of Korean words and letters is the easiest part of my study for the language. My issue is actually remembering the characters when they aren't in front of me on a sheet of paper or typed onto my laptop in some form or another.

I have a generally easy time pronouncing words.  The letter sounds and word compositions don't really pose much of an issue for me..it' just remember what each word means that I have a problem with so far.  I will definitely say that learning to pronounce Greek words as a native English speaker was much harder than pronouncing Korean words.

• 9 months later...

I still have a hard time pronouncing Korean words. When I started studying Korean language, there was the mention of the rules. For example, the romanized "maknae" (막내) is pronounced "mangne," and "haknyeon" (학년) is pronounced as "hangnyon." There were many other rules that I had a hard time memorizing, but as a newbie, I have to abide by them. But the best way to also learn pronunciation is through listening to audio clips during study, or listening to Korean songs or watching Korean dramas.

• 1 month later...

I'm not actively learning Korean but pronunciation is quite easy to learn in Korean. I've learned a lot via songs. I listen to ones that I really like and try to sing them so I really make an effort to learn pronunciation. Youtube has been VERY helpful. And of course, you can always put the songs on repeat. It's much harder to remember and expand my vocabulary though.

• 8 months later...

On a scale of 1-10, I would probably give myself a 6?? Some of the words are definitely a bit harder for me to pronounce and differentiate, such as  종국 vs  정국 but I guess if you listen and repeat the words enough times, it will come a bit more naturally. I have a Korean teacher to help with my pronunciation, but since she hasn't really said anything I assume I can't be doing as bad as I think :P