Linguaholic

Anyone have a hard time sticking to studying one language?

kate23

I'm trying to focus on mainly French and Hawaiian and I'm having some difficulty in doing so. Partly because I find so many languages fascinating, and partly I think because I feel like I've got an overabundance of passion, but am lacking aim. I think I need to sit down and figure out my plan for how to learn these languages and keep up with it.

Anyone have the same problem?

I really understand what you are talking about. I am also an "over-passionate" person and somethings I am also lacking aim. Hm, the best thing you can do is enroll in some kind of program/activity, then you will really feel like you have to stick with this certain language/topic, especially if you have to pay money for this activity/program. That is how I overcome this kind of 'problem'. It might be a little bit extreme but it really helped (helps) me to stick to a certain language/activity.

Oh definitely! There are so many interesting languages out there. I've been trying to concentrate on Visayan and trying to relearn French but I often catch myself getting side tracked. There are times when I want to learn Japanese because of my love for anime and other times when my Chinese friends motivate me to try Chinese.

I think you should concentrate on one at a time. But it is very hard to do so. Even here I am trying to learn as much as possible. I am trying to learn Romanian, Hindi and some Chinese also from here. I do hope I will learn something of everything in the long run.

I think you should curb your desire to learn more than one language at a time, because you will only get distracted and you will fail to fully focus your attention in one language. It's like multi-tasking, you know, your attention is divided, so it would be  hard to be fluent if you study many languages at a time.

Sometimes. It's easy to fantasize about learning all sorts of languages, but the reality is that it's difficult enough to learn one at a time. I think people who put emphasis on speaking a plethora of different languages sometimes neglect to learn the finer details of each one. I'd rather master a language before moving on to the next.

I should be focusing on learning Japanese but find myself shifting to French now and then - and this is not good for me. My Japanese is going nowhere, in fact I'm forgetting some of the basics due to lack of commitment.