Linguaholic

When did you start dreaming in another language?

kate23

My brother, who's studying Japanese, said he can't wait until he has dreams in Japanese and that made me think, when does that happen? How advanced do you have to be in the language you're learning for that to happen? And when it does, does it occur rarely or often? Is one dream sometimes in your first AND second language, all jumbled together?

It's fascinating to think about! Anyone have any knowledge or experience of it?

I have never dreamed in anything other than my primary language (not counting swearwords and exclamations), and I "think" in my primary language. Never heard of any such thing happening either, but it would be really interesting to see what other people say.

I haven't ever dreamed in any language except my native one. I am semi-fluent in German but I have never dreamed in that language. I feel dreaming in a foreign language would be helpful, almost like extra practice. I hop I one day will dream in a different language!

One tends to dream in pictures and symbols, interspersed with all kinds of messages. So far I haven't really noticed any particular language in which those messages get conveyed to my conscious mind. Occasionally a word or a sentence comes to the surface when I wake up, but if I would have to describe that language, I would call it the "language of the soul". :-)

Dreaming in another language? This has completely intrigued me! I have never thought about this nor experienced it either but I am super wanting to now! I wonder if I'd be able to be comprehensive within the dream if I or someone within began speaking in another language... Questions questions questions

Great thread by the way!

I don't remember dreaming in another language. Although when I was in France, my primary language was French (I was pretty young when we moved there) so I'm guessing I was dreaming in French then. When we returned to the Philippines, I had to relearn Filipino and English. I currently dream in both those languages and I honestly cannot recall the transition between dreaming in French to Filipino and English.

You can't force-dream in other language. Maybe you can imagine it. But dreams are totally controlled by our subconscious. If you have been living in another country and using a different language for a number of years, may be you will start to think/dream in that language.