Linguaholic

Learning a language for love

Gelsemium

I didn't begin learning Spanish BECAUSE of my boyfriend, but my past two boyfriends have been of Hispanic descent, so it just works out pretty nicely that I can practice speaking and vocabulary learning with him now.

I am especially grateful, however, because I can speak and understand a little of what his family is saying, especially his grandmother, who is so nice to me but doesn't speak English very well. The fact that we can still communicate is very important to me, and I'm glad that we aren't blocked from each other by a language barrier.

Yes, I must be a prime example for learning a language for love. I started studying Spanish because of my partner. I wanted to be able to discuss with him every possible topic and never be stuck for words to bring across a concept. Not that I am ever stuck for words anyway. :-)

I have learnt so much about his culture and background by understanding his language.

I haven't done it before since the girlfriends I had before all speak the same language as me.

However, if I really do encounter such a situation I would definitely try to learn her language. After all, communication is a big part of a relationship. If you can't convey your feelings properly to your other half, it might result in misunderstandings. Also, letting your partner teach you his/her language sounds pretty fun and a good way to strengthen a relationship.

• 4 weeks later...

I will definitely do it for love. My boyfriend and I are interracial couples and I'm just glad we both understand each other because I know his language very well. Love is the real deal if you want to learn a new language. :-)

i have done it but not for a romantic sort of love but rather for friendship. i have a friend from venezuela and he and i learn each other's language to try and express ourselves to each other. i love him so much!!

This very same question has been asked before in this forum actually.

I have mentioned more than a few times that I'm currently learning dutch because I might move there with my boyfriend.  So yeah, I'm learning dutch for love :)  What other reason could I have to learn such a complex language? None to be honest, lol.  If it wasn't because of this I'd not be learning this language in particular to be honest, I'd probably learning Hebrew or Norwegian just for fun.