Linguaholic

How do you feel about audio books?

g2narat

Oh I listen to a lot of Audiobooks. But I only pick the ones that I know are good. Some of the books that I listen to even thought they're really good get's ruined by poor narrators and voice actors. One I would definitely recommend would be Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk and The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty.

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't read physical books much because I get distracted so easily while reading. (I think I would start to make up my own version of the stories in my head lol). So what I would normally do is find the audio version of the book and listen to it while I follow along in the physical book. Listening to audio books alone tends to put me to sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I listen to a lot of Audiobooks. But I only pick the ones that I know are good. Some of the books that I listen to even thought they're really good get's ruined by poor narrators and voice actors. One I would definitely recommend would be Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk and The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty.

I hear ya, that's why when I pick and audio book it's always a  non fiction one.  That way your experience doesn't get ruined by bad voice actors.  Plus that kin of books are better read by yourself ;)  While the kind of books I like to listen to... well, doesn't really matter if someone else's read them that much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, interestingly I couldn't bring myself to enjoy listening to audio books. I tried it before only to fell asleep. It's not that the book I was listening to had poor speakers. In fact, the speakers' voice were so good that instead of listening to the contents of what they were narrating, I was lulled instead by the lilt of the sound of their voices to sleep. :laugh:

I gave audiobooks a try a couple of times, however, how I can see them being useful tools for people with little time to dedicate to reading , or people affected by a disability to read, I do enjoy taking in the sounds of the environment that surrounds me and also to create a voice for characters in my own way.

I find that more difficult to accomplish by listening to another reader.

I understand what you are saying, e-books are not ideal if you are looking to have an in depth reading.  I prefer physical books or even e-books, because you can easily take notes. After all what's the point of reading if you don't get to fully grasp the main idea of a book. That's why I don't like e-books.

• 3 weeks later...

I love audiobooks. They give me the ability to listen to some of my favorite stories while I'm doing other tasks. This way, I can keep up with reading the book and not feel guilty about shirking my other responsibilities because I can listen to the audio of the book while committing to my responsibilities. On the other hand, I don't like abridged audio books. I like to hear the story as it was written.

I love audiobooks, but I have a very practical use of them, I'm afraid. Whenever I have a dictation, I practice by listening to audiobooks online and then writing down what I hear (with pauses, of course). It's an excellent way of practicing, I must tell you. I always feel more confident. When you have a dictation exam, you never know what kind of a text your teacher will choose, but if you have practiced for even an hour or so, and had few mistakes, you feel ''safer''. This has never failed me before. I always do better on dictation if I'd listened to audiobooks prior to the exam.

Honestly speaking, I enjoy leafing through a real book. I have tried listening to an audio book and like you I must admit that I did not finish listening to it. Once every Saturday, I visit our local library when I select a book and sit back and enjoy reading it immensely. Two weeks ago, I stumbled upon a book at the library written by an author from Uganda. The title of the book was the Official Wife.  It was painful for me to put it down when I had to leave. I will choose a real book over an audio any day of the week.

• 9 months later...

I wouldn't say I like audio books, and I also wouldn't say I hate them. Well, I really wouldn't mind listening to audio books in my spare time. However, if I were to choose between audio books and paperback, of course, I am definitely going with the real ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't seem to get behind audio books. I get the appeal for some people, especially the multitaskers and busybodies, but as a very visual person, I can't seem to concentrate on what I'm listening to without being distracted by what I see around me. That's why I love reading--my eyes focus on nothing but the words on the page, and the lack of distractions better helps me get absorbed by what I'm reading.

Some of the books that I listen to even thought they're really good get's ruined by poor narrators and voice actors.

Exactly! I tried to listen to an audiobook last year. It was a fantasy novel and the narrator's voice was so dull, as if she was bored to death - which made me bored to death. 

They seem easy to go through but I find that it's quite difficult to focus on my listening if I'm doing something else. I haven't tried listening to audio books while travelling though but I guess they are best used in that scenario.I have issues understanding accents too. I once tried listening to Three Men in a Boat in Spotify but Hugh Laurie's accent was hard to follow. To each his own though.