Linguaholic

What's your favorite pun?

For those English language learners who haven't heard of puns before, I'll give you a quick definition.  Puns are words that are used to poke fun at similar words.  They can also be words that sound alike but have completely different meanings.

"What does a clock do when it's hungry?  It goes back four seconds!"

The pun is written in question/answer form, but the punchline or the joke in this situation is the use of "four" (related to time) which sounds like "for" (a preposition)

I hope I was able to explain in detail for those of you who've never seen puns before :)

So, what are your favorite puns?  And do puns play an important role in your country?

• 1 month later...

I can't say if puns play an important role whatsoever, but I do like telling puns. It makes me feel witty, especially when my friends laugh at it. The most hilarious, and witty, pun I've read was this: Which president is the least guilty? Lincoln. Because he's in a cent. Hehe. Punny.

I dislike pun jokes very much, with the exception of them being used somewhat ironically, and even then I don't often like it. The one I hear the most, or at least the one I always remember is saying "Eggcellent" for being happy with something that concerns eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! I have a new favorite thing I search for. I look for celebrity name puns. I find them hilarious. Call me corny but I can't help but giggle whenever I find celebrity name puns. Here are some of my favorites:

004-blake-lively1.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiA8f_bRYorVAikPiqMGisV6hey28gUz2MR2cS5eA8Nl60tAHe

the_30_best_celebrity_name_puns_4fa3fdfbe849d.jpg

I think it's also a pretty fun way of playing with words.  :wacky:

I don't often get puns immediately. It takes me some seconds to digest it  :bored:. But once I understand it, I think it is silly  :laugh:. I like pun in movie quotes. I have seen some pictures of movie quotes in reddit. I will share it here when I find them again.

haha, i'm laughing so hard!! i LOVE puns. i love recognizing/noticing puns when people are talking. as long as a pun is not offensive then i'm game! i also like it when i inadvertently make a pun in my statements.

This is such a fun topic! :)  I really like puns and over the years have found that puns that are made up, spontaneously in the middle of conversations are especially fun.  I don't always remember them, but at the time, they are great for a laugh. 

One of the classics that I've seen over the years:  "A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion."

I just remembered one that I like from one of my favorite shows - Tales From The Crypt, wherein the host always begins his introduction to the episode by saying welcome guys and ghouls. As I've said, I never really liked puns, but I find them okay when used ironically.

Puns are used quite often here, maybe at least once per day in our native language by a person. However, these are in English.

-What did the painter say to the wall? One more crack and I'll plaster you.

-Old policemen never die, they just cop out.

-I've been to the dentist several times so I know the drill.

Me and my friends love making puns using Indian food! hahahhaha

For example:

Friend 1: "we must curry on! Okay. That joke was bad. sorry."

spicy_chicken_masala_curry.JPG

Friend 2: "It's okay. you don't have tosai anything."

tosai-with-coconut-chutney-dhal-curr1__m470.jpg

Friend 3: "I find this conversation a little bit dahl."

dahl%20soup.JPG

Friend 1: "it's naan of your business."

Naan-above1.jpg

Hilarious puns, Leeroy! hehe.

awww, my favorite one must be the one with the Naan bread...It's maybe also because I really really love Naan Bread :=)

Me and my friends love making puns using Indian food! hahahhaha

For example:

Friend 1: "we must curry on! Okay. That joke was bad. sorry."

spicy_chicken_masala_curry.JPG

Friend 2: "It's okay. you don't have tosai anything."

tosai-with-coconut-chutney-dhal-curr1__m470.jpg

Friend 3: "I find this conversation a little bit dahl."

dahl%20soup.JPG

Friend 1: "it's naan of your business."

Naan-above1.jpg

Hahahaha! I loved that you decided to include the images of the actual food. Makes the whole thing even funnier! And I learned a couple of dishes too! I was only familiar with curry before.  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hahahha thanks! I think food puns are great especially when told in the right situations.

For example, in a mexican restaurant.

"Do you wanna taco about it?"

"It's nacho problem."

or

"Stop taking my nachos. It's nacho food."

:tongue:

Puns are a play on words that are often funny. Words are used figuratively, are often homonyms (sound the same), but they may have different meanings. I think they are good indicators of what is considered humorous in a language, a trait which makes all languages different from one another. Here's a pun:

Question: Why was six scared?

Answer: Because seven eight nine.

In this case, the word 'eight' (8) sounds the same as the word 'ate' (past tense of eat) which is why the number six was supposedly scared!  :grin:

• 3 months later...