Linguaholic

A Fun Way to Recognize Your Grammar Mistakes

Nyandroid

I found an infograph that might help you realize your mistakes in English.  Also, it might even give you the ability to laugh at yourself more when you make these mistakes.  Hope you enjoy it :)

http://dailyinfographic.com/15-grammar-mistakes-that-can-make-you-look-silly-infographic

I've made some of these mistakes before in my lifetime, so just remember no one is perfect.  Learn to laugh at yourself and you'll find English learning to be a piece of cake!

Thank you for sharing this cool info graphic with us, Nyandroid. Those are really common mistakes and I do believe that we already have some threads here on linguaholic.com about some of those mistakes shown in that info graphic! :speechless:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no - I actually do some of those things, haha!

Though I'm really thankful for our Advanced Grammar classes last semester. I was able to overcome at least some of them and it greatly improved my proficiency in the language.

But this is a really cool guide. I'm going to bookmark this just in case. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I found an infograph that might help you realize your mistakes in English.  Also, it might even give you the ability to laugh at yourself more when you make these mistakes.  Hope you enjoy it :)

http://dailyinfographic.com/15-grammar-mistakes-that-can-make-you-look-silly-infographic

I've made some of these mistakes before in my lifetime, so just remember no one is perfect.  Learn to laugh at yourself and you'll find English learning to be a piece of cake!

I bookmarked your link. Thanks so much for this. This is something fun and useful! I love it!

It so happens that none of us are perfect. I sometimes wonder after posting something if I had made any errors and hope I don't get laughed at for it. This is a link I'll definitely go through sooner than later. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful!  I love the fact they don't only talk about those grammar mistakes, but they also try to explain you whats wrong and how to correct it.  Amazing!  Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, I'm sure this will help a lot people out, I have made the ''loose/lose'' one myself.  I know some native English speakers who open use then instead of than and vice versa.  Or your and you're. 

Hi, I think this is great because grammar is one of the biggest problems students have. (Especially as far as English learning is concerned.) In addition to your link, I also direct students to use free grammar checkers online which can be found by doing a quick Google search. I think these tools are super useful for anyone who wants to see improvement quickly.

Thanks Nyandroid, it's a cool and fun infographic.  :smile:

Honestly, I'm not aware of the "dangling participle" so that's one of the things that I've learned from the infographic today.  And about no. 14, my friend always say this whenever she's hungry >> "I can literally eat a horse."  - I'll be correcting her the next time.  :grin:

Just two nitpicks with the infographic: #7 advises to pick the one that "sounds" less silly. This would be very unhelpful to those for whom English is not their first language, or even for those who speak English fluently and are surrounded by people who speak English fluently but continue to use personal pronouns wrongly.

For #8, contractions and possessives are not the only times that an apostrophe would be used. Sometimes they're used to indicate a date or a plural for an acronym: My grandmother grew up in the 1920's, not the 1920s; "automatic teller machines" become ATM's, not ATMs.

This can make it very difficult to decide how to punctuate the phrase "do's and don't's" which I just did wrong, but "dos and don'ts" is also wrong. They can both be right and consistent: "do's and don'ts."

Otherwise, thank you so much for the link! I had a lot of fun with dangling participles, before I learned from this what they're called.

• 1 month later...

I love those sites with jokes about common language mistakes. Actually those jokes remain in my head and I learn to never make that same mistake again. Or at least, not that often any more. :)

I find it to be a unique and unorthodox way of teaching. I wish it would be more employed in boring class rooms.

Oh my god, Thanks for sharing, this will help me a lot and a lot of other people, a lot of people might fallen for this mistakes but it's always good for people to know what they should do and how, and I think that this is a great way to tell people if they had anything wrong in their grammar.

• 4 weeks later...

This is interesting! It's very helpful and I totally agree with all the common mistakes shown on the link. There are time's that the I just want to say what I have in mind but had never thought about the usages of words I'm putting.

I used to do all those mistakes in the list back in time when I was still learning. Don't take me wrong, I'm learning everyday, but fortunately I've gone through the mistakes in the list already, probably due to similar lists or people that correct me when they realize I said or wrote something wrongfully.

Thank you for the helpful list! I will give the link to the chart whenever someone makes a silly mistake like that. I've thankfully managed to learn to avoid them. I sometimes struggle with "its" and "it's" but figure out which one to use after a second or two.

The "fewer/less" mistake is SO common even with native speakers! Most of the supermarkets have the quick cashier with the sign "5 items or less". So annoying!

Hey that's pretty nice. I will have to pay attention so that I don't such errors. Most people forget to use proper grammar while they chat online, and sometime things clear to one, may seem different to another. The common man is bound to make such mistakes, because sometimes they don't know the difference, and sometimes they just rush through it.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much. Now I know how to properly use fewer and less  :laugh: I really thought they are interchangeable so I use whichever seems appropriate regardless if it can be counted or not. That is really helpful. I will keep it in mind and make sure to share it with my friends as well.

I've seen these basic mistakes addressed before but I think putting them in a neat infographic like this is helpful. I'm fortunate that my education in English was good enough that I got to understand these principles at a very young age and I try to understand it as much as possible when I see these errors in others but I just can't help but feel squeamish whenever I see someone use apostrophes for plural forms.

Thank you for this! I still confuse 'affect' and 'effect', and it's annoying because I never seem to use the right one whenever I'm writing. The Fewer/Less section was interesting, too. I never knew that the two words were that different from each other. I also laughed at the orange-zombie bit. This is a really nice and convenient guide. It's a shame that a lot of people don't understand that grammar really is important.

The first 13 mistakes as well as the last are already familiar to me, but the 14th is somewhat new.  Even the most experienced native English speakers make these usual mistakes once or twice, but those who have a poor grasp of the English language are more likely to commit these mistakes.