Linguaholic

Do you understand what you read?

Gelsemium

Many times we read something and we don't understand it. This happens more often when we read out loud. Why do you think this happens, the brain is busy with something else and can't retain the meaning of the words?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think this experience differs with everyone. whenever I read aloud I am less able to comprehend what I just read. Mind reading keeps me more focused and helps me to grasp what I read much easier. It is the opposite way with many others though. I am not really sure why but it I think it has a lot to do with the way each persons brain function.

Most of the time I do. Sometimes I am like you though. I've sometimes read a whole paragraph only to realize that I didn't retain a single thing. I guess the brain also goes on auto pilot while reading from time to time.  :confused:

There are some people who really have low reading comprehension levels, they can't understand what they have read the first time even if they only read by themselves or read silently. They need to read again the texts before they can finally grasp what it is about. People with poor vocabulary skills may find it hard to comprehend the meanings of some terms used and/or they are not quite familiar with the expressions.

I'm a good reader, I understand well and read quickly as well. But when some word comes across that I have no idea, and can't even get the meaning or an idea from the phrase, then I have to check the dictionary for it and nowadays online and even the offline PC or phone dictionaries are just so handy.

i think when this happens one is usually preoccupied with something else. reading aloud makes it worse because you're more preoccupied with uttering the sounds rather than understanding what the words mean.

I'm one of those person who actually has a hard time understanding what she reads when do it aloud.  For some reason I can't really remember or truly grasp what I read aloud. But when I read in silence I do.  I have meet people who experience the opposite: they need to actually vocalize what they should be reading in silence. 

Actually this happens in adults that didn't learn to read the right way, because if you learn to do it the right way, then you can be sure you won't need to vocalize.

This happens to me when whatever I'm reading is incredibly boring or something I don't care about. Give me a book I enjoy and I could have it done in three hours. Give me something I don't like (say those boring classics they had us read in school) and I could read the same page over and over again for 30 mins and still not know what it says.