Linguaholic

What about sign language?

g2narat

Does anyone here know sign language? For those that do, was it hard to learn? Learning language is one of the things I have on my bucket list and I still haven't started until now. For those that don't know, are you also as interested as me?

Signing the alphabet is not so difficult to learn but doing it fast might be kind of a challenge. Learning sign language for words can be tricky too because some signs are so close to other words. I guess practice makes perfect. Just keep doing it and I'm sure you'll get a hang of it.

Sign language is not very difficult to learn, for alphabets. But the words themselves are a bit more difficult to learn and you should ask instructors of LD's or Learning with Difficulties/ Special Children to teach you. We had a few schoolmates who were mute and deaf and they were teaching us how to do sign language before, I should have paid more attention to them when I had the chance.

I don't know sign language and so far I didn't have the need to learn it, but who knows someday. I still don't understand why there can't be an universal sign language, is sign language merely a translation of regular languages?

I don't really know any sign language but I'd be very interested in learning. A few years ago I got the privilege of learning my name and that was a great feeling :cool:. It is certainly something I'd take on in the near future.

I have met a couple of mute and deaf people in my life and I was able to communicate well with them, I have not tried to learn the sign language nor I think they knew it any bit, but I think here in our part of the world, more than learning, they just make up and try to convey their message.

I never tried to learn sign language, but some kids in my class used it.  I learn a few words, mostly swear words but that's it.  I guess I could have learnt it if I had tried it, but I never had an interest for it.  I just didn't see a use for it, and I've always been interested in languages that could actually be heard and pronounced.

My class had a lot kids like that, we often saw the using sing language, but we never thought much of it to be honest (me and my friends).

I went to a school that also had a small selection of students that were HoH/deaf.  First year there, we had to take a mandatory month of sign language!

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a hard language, but I'll echo the sentiments that practice makes perfect.  There is also a point about dialect - American Sign Language will be way different than, say, Japanese Sign Language.  They may share signs, but the structures of sentences can be entirely different.  So, you know, think about what sorts of folks you'll be communicating with when you learn and choose the appropriate sign language.

I went to a school that also had a small selection of students that were HoH/deaf.  First year there, we had to take a mandatory month of sign language!

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a hard language, but I'll echo the sentiments that practice makes perfect.  There is also a point about dialect - American Sign Language will be way different than, say, Japanese Sign Language.  They may share signs, but the structures of sentences can be entirely different.  So, you know, think about what sorts of folks you'll be communicating with when you learn and choose the appropriate sign language.

Oh, I envy you! I would have loved to learn sign language. But I still have time though. I really will make extra effort to learn it. Oh and thanks for clarifying the confusion about sign language in different countries. It seems like even though they might not be completely the same, you'd still be able to understand each other, am I right?

I have achieved level 2 in British Sign Language (BSL) I found it a great source of enjoyment to learn and use, as the deaf community appreciate,hearing people attempting to communicate by signing. BSL has different signs according to where you live,just as hearing people have different accents. I hope you try learning BSL as I know you will thoroughly enjoy it.

I think there are different forms of sign languages. I am not sure about it. I would like to learn one which universally recognized. I have a strong intention of learning braille too.

I have achieved level 2 in British Sign Language (BSL) I found it a great source of enjoyment to learn and use, as the deaf community appreciate,hearing people attempting to communicate by signing. BSL has different signs according to where you live,just as hearing people have different accents. I hope you try learning BSL as I know you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Oh, so there are official sign languages per area. That is so interesting. I really plan to but my only problem is finding time to learn it. I guess I have to stop finding excuses and just put in extra effort. Thanks!

I know a bit German Sign Language. I'm hard of hearing and my mother is deaf.

It always amazes me how most hearing people seem to think that sign language could be universal just because you're using hands. There is a little story I've invented because I heard the question so often:

Once upon a time there was a island in the ocean - let's call it Island A. All the people living on it are deaf and are using sign language for communication. One day it happens that someone built a big boat enough to explore the ocean. They found another island which was uninhabited. They named it Island B and some of the people decided to live there. Their sign language was still the same but changed slowly as time passed by. When hundred of years have passed, there are two different sign languages with the same roots. And then it happened they spotted a ship coming from a far away island with deaf people on it - Island C. They've met for the first time. If you still think that sign language is practically universal, how do people from Island C know how to sign "We don't want to hurt you" with people from Island A or B? Maybe people from A or B might even understand "We will kill you all".

Anyways - a good link for those interested in sign language:

http://www.spreadthesign.com/  Just type a word and you'll see the sign in many languages.  :smile:

I'm actually quite interested in learning ASL. I feel as though it'd be very useful and fun. I was actually learning some awhile ago, but I lost motivation. A website I would use constantly for ASL was Signing Savvy. I'd also Youtube videos and look for comments from people who knew ASL well, so I could understand a little about how sentence structures work in sign language.

i'm very keen on learning sign language as well. unfortunately i have found it to be very difficult and i'm also learning spanish so i just sort of abandoned it. i hope some day i'll be able to focus and just learn it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how sign language works. I've always wanted to learn how to talk using sign, though, because I think it's so cool being able to convey messages with just the way you move your hands. I think it's an art on its own, too, because people who can use sign can actually turn their words into hand gestures. It's amazing to see.

I love sign language! I am semi-fluent in American Sign Language, and it's so fun. It can be difficult, especially because a lot of the signs look the same and one little difference can mean two totally different things. I reccomend anyone at least trying it, it's very cool and beautiful to watch as well. I went to a play recently that had an interpreter and found myself just watching her instead of the play itself because she was putting emotions into her signs and it was beautifully done.

My grandmother, whilst not deaf herself taught me some British Sign Language (BSL). I still rememebr some of it, and was considering learning more, but never really stuck with it. I've forgotten some of waht I was taught but still remember most of it.