Linguaholic

Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer

megshoe

This is a book I would highly recommend to anyone learning German! It's a wonderful and fantastic tale of two adventurers and their locomotive train by the author of The Never-Ending Story (yup, it's originally German!). It's about a B1 reading level and it's full of great vocabulary. Personally I love this story and learned a lot from it. Does anyone else have suggestions for young adult/middle school level reading?

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Thanks for your tip!

When I was a child, I read "Jim Knopf" and "Die Unendliche Geschichte". I LOVED them. I've read only their translations, but now I realize that I can read them in German!!!

My suggestion would be „Krabat“ von Otfried Preussler. It's also a children's book, I think. When I was a child I read it and (I think) loved it. Lately I heard that a Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki is inspired from this book and created a movie "Spirited Away“. So I want to read it again, maybe this time in German :)

Thanks for your tip!

When I was a child, I read "Jim Knopf" and "Die Unendliche Geschichte". I LOVED them. I've read only their translations, but now I realize that I can read them in German!!!

My suggestion would be „Krabat“ von Otfried Preussler. It's also a children's book, I think. When I was a child I read it and (I think) loved it. Lately I heard that a Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki is inspired from this book and created a movie "Spirited Away“. So I want to read it again, maybe this time in German :)

Awww, "Spirited Away", it is my favorite movie from Hayao Miyazaki. The Japanese title of "Spirited Away" is "Chihiro"  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Guys.

There is another book in the Jim Knopf series: Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13.

Further more I can recommend to watch out for "Die Augsburger Puppenkiste", which is a puppet show that (among others) covered the Jim-Knopf-Adventures by Michael Ende. "Die unendliche Geschichte" which was mentioned before is definetly a great book and dont miss to read "Momo" and "Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch", both written by Michael Ende as well. (no worries: "satanarchäolügenialkohöllisch" is actually an experimental neologism, but it illustrates how it´s possible to mash up words in German language.) 

Another book series I can really recommend is "Urmel" by Max Kruse. It´s a bit special since the characters all have a different speech impedement, but in my experience it´s a great occassion to think about language. By the way, "Urmel" was also covered by "Die Augsburger Puppenkiste".

Best wishes,

Peter