Linguaholic

Do you often use the dictionary to find new words?

The dictionary is one of the best books in learning the vocabulary for the English language and other languages. Do you use yours to find new words and expand your vocabulary? Do you use the dictionary when you encounter a foreign word? Or you don't want to even open the dictionary at all? I for one use the dictionary at times to look for new words and most of the time to learn the meaning of foreign words that are thrown at me, how about you?

I always have a dictionary with me everyday, and a few dictionary applications on my phone. I'm not sure, but it's better to always have a dictionary and a thesaurus handy (especially in my case, since my course is related to communication) when everyday life offers you a confusing bunch of people saying words here and there. It's good if you always have a reliable dictionary and thesaurus nearby to help you check (and recheck and verify) for the meaning of words you suddenly forgot, or words which meaning you suddenly doubted.

I agree with you. People should really carry a dictionary or thesaurus to understand and to educate themselves of new words they encounter everyday from different kinds of people. You also do not have to be a communications student to have a wide range of vocabulary. It's good that people today are aware of a lot of words that make life interesting, too bad there are the extremely poor with words which get left behind perhaps due to not paying attention during English classes.

When I was in school, we were told to learn 5 words from the dictionary everyday. I used to do it. It has greatly helped in improving my vocabulary. But nowadays it is not possible for me. I use a mobile dictionary nowadays when I encounter a new word. I also use it to check pronunciation of words. I think it is better to learn 3 or 4 words a day if you want to learn a new language. A dictionary will greatly help you in the learning process.

I use the "online" dictionary to look up words I don't know.  If you have a smartphone there is no need to carry around a dictionary with you anymore because you can look it up in your phone. 

I use the dictionary all the time and English is my native language.  It is a great tool if you are unsure of the meaning of the word or need help spelling it.  I do a lot of writing and the dictionary is one of my best friends.  I do not own a physical book though, I use the online version.

I used to do it way back. I would find new word in book or magazine, find its translation, and write the word on one side of piece of paper and the translation on another side. And then I would go through the pieces of paper to learn all the new words.

Now I go to dictionary.com. I have to admit that my learning of new words has definitely decreased. Should do something about that, but I've been trying to learn 2 more languages, and I guess it's been overwhelming.

In the past when I used my dictionary a lot I always look for new word and also study their meanings. Now I don't use my dictionary as often but whenever I do I still look for one or two new words on the same page to learn :cool:.

I consider myself to be fairly well versed in English, but every now and again, I will still come across some words that I do not know the meaning of, so I do still look up some definitions online from time to time. I also had a practice of trying to learn a new word everyday back when I was younger by means of looking up a word in the dictionary and trying to use it within the day so it sticks. I've since then stopped doing this, but I did manage to learn a lot of words during this time.

The work dictionary without online reminds me of something of the past, I think there are not many users for regular dictionaries these days. Everything can be found online just a few clicks away.

The dictionary is one of the best books in learning the vocabulary for the English language and other languages. Do you use yours to find new words and expand your vocabulary? Do you use the dictionary when you encounter a foreign word? Or you don't want to even open the dictionary at all? I for one use the dictionary at times to look for new words and most of the time to learn the meaning of foreign words that are thrown at me, how about you?

I love dictionaries. When I was a kid I used to recreationally browse through my selection of dictionaries, simply because I was fascinated by words, especially those that have multiple meanings.

In my house you will find quite a number of dictionaries on the book shelf. I also have a heavy Thesaurus sitting there amongst different encyclopaedias and language dictionaries.

One of the most important feature on my phone is the google translator that I use many times a day. :)

I consider myself to be fairly well versed in English, but every now and again, I will still come across some words that I do not know the meaning of, so I do still look up some definitions online from time to time. I also had a practice of trying to learn a new word everyday back when I was younger by means of looking up a word in the dictionary and trying to use it within the day so it sticks. I've since then stopped doing this, but I did manage to learn a lot of words during this time.

Nice to hear that you have the practice of learning new words everyday. We had an instructor once who also made us learn and memorize, use one word every meeting and I am really seeing the value of how she tried to make us learn at least one word per day. It's very nice to do it but at times mental exhaustion gets the best of us so we don't really practice it well at least that's for me.

I love dictionaries. When I was a kid I used to recreationally browse through my selection of dictionaries, simply because I was fascinated by words, especially those that have multiple meanings.

In my house you will find quite a number of dictionaries on the book shelf. I also have a heavy Thesaurus sitting there amongst different encyclopaedias and language dictionaries.

One of the most important feature on my phone is the google translator that I use many times a day. :)

Wow. You remind me of the daughter of our pastor who according to her mom she used to sleep with the big book of Merriam Webster's dictionary and right now she's taking up law and is very profound at speaking in English and using hifalutin terms well specially in her law school's debate team.

I used to hate using dictionaries when they were in paper-format only because it just took so god damn long to find a word and learn it. Nowadays, learning new words have become so easy due to the advent of the internet. If you have a macbook, you'd know that you don't even need to look up a word now. Simply tap a word with three fingers and it'll automatically show the definition.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes, I do use online dictionaries to find the definition of words or vocabulary I am not familiar with. At times, I check on the context clues, of how the words are being used in sentences to know the meaning. I do have an actual dictionary but since I am always online at work and at home because of my two jobs, I use the online dictionary most of the time.  :grin: