Linguaholic

In which countries English is not taught at school?

I imagine France and Japan are probably two countries who don't teach English in their schools because as far as I know, most of the adults in these countries don't speak English very much. I could be wrong, though, since I've never really went to any of the schools in these countries myself, so this is just a presumption of mine.

I doubt that France doesn't teach English and Japan either because they are both developed countries. I'd go more for China, I don't believe they teach English at school, but like you said Baburra, it's and assumption too.

I have this friend from Japan (his dad used to work there) and he's actually Indonesian as well. I thought he was unable to speak English but nahh he went to an international school and of course it used English so much. But I also think that France doesn't teach English at schools. There are only a few French people that speak English. But we can't really say a country doesn't teach a language just because the vast majority of them do not speak English. If you go to my country, I think you won't find people using English, even though it's taught in every school (it's part of our curriculum and it's mandatory in every school)

Hmm... of course there are countries that do not include English language in their education system. But the question is, which countries?

This is a superb topic to be discussed by the way  :smile:

I hope there are members here that can provide us with some info.

In many of the Balkan countries they still teach Russian as a second language, followed by French and then English. None of my relatives and friends in Serbia speak English, and neither do their friends.

There is only one of my cousins who learnt a bit of English on his own accord, but without having anyone to practice with, his skills wilted away quickly.

I think every country has soem level of English tuition, but it's a case of what countries don't have it universally. I think every country in western Europe has English lessons. Maybe very underdeveloped countries  where they cannot afford the required English teachers.

I'm not sure there are any countries out there that don't teach English as it is becoming the standard global language.  I would say probably the remote small village countries, but then again, there are missionaries who teach English to the populations there.  I have friends from all over the world and English was taught to them at some point in school.

I spent primary school in France and we weren't taught English. They might have taught it in higher grades though. I am not really sure as my old friends there are now fluent in English, so it might have been taught in higher grades. In my country (Philippines) English is taught early on.