Linguaholic

Reading out loud

Peninha

My kid brought some homework and one of that homework was to read some texts to make interpretation easier. This made me confuse because I think that when we read aloud we don't understand as well as if we were reading to ourselves. Did I miss something here?

It's different for each person. That's why I am not a huge fan of the school system, everyone learns in a different style and the school system is kind of for one style.  I always comprehended things better when I read out loud.

Errr, did it say your kid should read those texts aloud?  Isn't that kinda weird? 

As far as I'm concerned it's harder to truly grasp what you are reading aloud, mostly because your mind is too busy with your pronunciation of each word and volume of your voice. I have noticed that whenever I read aloud I end up paying more attention to my own voice and the way I sound that the actual content of the text, lol. 

Actually someone posted a post about this SAME topic a few days ago, as I said that time...  Some people like to pronounce the words as they read, and that is actually a huge mistake! Because it means they didn't learn to read the right way; we are supposed to read in silence (no lip moving either) that way we are completely focused on the text's content.

I've seen it a lot in the kids, they read out loud to memorize especially, and I think it does help. I know that kids that memorize the Holy Quran by heart, read out loud again and again the verses to memorize it and it does help and that is the way it is done all over the world. So there must be some logic in it.

Reading out loud texts help the learner know his pronunciation errors. While some simply cannot understand what they have read in this way, some can comprehend even through this. Reading comprehension is what's important not the way texts are read by either reading out loud or on his own or silent reading.

I guess reading aloud aims to achieve the following: teach the pupil how to read the word and internalize each phoneme, to make the student experience how it's like to use the word, and to help the student feel less awkward when using the word in a real life setting.

I agree with everyone else though, we all learn differently. I tend to learn better when I do something, so whenever I encounter new words, I over-enunciate each phoneme (sound unit in a word) and then I use it in a sentence so whenever I say it for real next time, it won't feel so awkward. I read the word to myself too, but I guess I like hearing myself so I tend to read the word loudly too.

My kids do a lot of reading aloud in school as well.  When they are learning to read, it helps them to get a grasp on pronunciation of the words.  It may be that the teacher is not as concerned with your kids reading and understanding the story as much as practicing reading in general.

I think reading aloud helps in understanding it better. I have read somewhere that our brain learns in different ways. It can remember what is seen and what is heard too. So if you are reading aloud, it helps in remembering the content even more.

I think it depends on the individual. I like silent reading but as a teacher, I noticed my students when asked to read aloud don't really comprehend what they've learnt. They only read to impress others.

Thanks

I think that reading aloud requires bigger concentration, so it may take some getting used to, to start paying attention to the content and not reading itself. However, I've read scientific studies that had said that reading aloud helps you memorize things better and if you truly want to remember something you should read it out loud for sure.

I think solution to the concentration thing would be to read whatever it is once by yourself and then out loud, then you get the information in every possible way.

I think reading out loud helps because if you're just saying it in your mind you're not use to saying and pronouncing the words. You probably think you are, but you really aren't. I have personal experience of this because I use to learn Portuguese very early in the morning and would just say the words in my head so I didn't wake anybody up. Now, I learn later in the day and feel more confident with speaking words. I noticed that I really struggled to pronounce the words when I first started speaking them though. Even though I thought I had mastered them

• 2 weeks later...

I think that reading out loud is very good for diction, it helps us to pronounce the words correctly, but as for understanding better I doubt that, at least in my case, I understand better if I don't read aloud.

It varies from person to person, some people cannot concentrate when reading out loud and after reading the paragraph/sentence, they usually forget or did not understand anything from it. For some however this works because keywords are recalled when they read out loud what they are studying. Reading out loud can be good but sometimes tiring.

My Biology teacher said that the more senses are involved, the easier and the more effective the learning becomes. When you read out loud, you are working with two senses: sense of sight and hearing. You will not just see the words but also hear them, making it easier and faster for your brain to recognize and interpret them.