Linguaholic

Who is your favourite English or American comedian?

I really enjoy watching comedies of all kinds. From stand-up comedians to funny movies. I mean actually funny, not just some generic rehash of some ancient jokes that is enhanced by artificial laughter.

One of my absolute favourite comedians is Bill Bailey. I have to smile as soon as I see him.

I also admire Robin Williams. I think that man is a genius. I have watched all of his movies and still can't get enough of "Mrs Doubtfire" and "RV". :)

Who is your favourite comedian?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

George Carlin is my favorite English comedian. The reason is that he goes beyond petty jokes simply to draw a laugh from the crowd. His comedy routines always dealt with issues that were actually important and made you think when watching his skits. Of course, one didn't necessarily always agree with his points but without a doubt, his comedy had more gravitas too it despite being so funny.

You mentioned one of my favorite Robin Williams. Just the look on his face would make anyone laugh. He perfectly in the movies. Another character I like is Bill Cosby. He is so funny. I think he captures the smallest of hearts :love:.

Sasha Baron Cohen.  I loved his Ali G movies, as well as the Borat one.  The last few movies haven't been so good tho, I hope he isn't losing his touch!  He used to be so funny when he was doing his Ali G act, but his last movie was just over the top. 

I felt like he was trying too hard, while with his other movies... well, everything seemed more natural.  Like he was naturally funny without even trying and that was wonderful! He is still one of my favorite British comedians tho :)  I like the fact he isn't afraid about censorship or playing around with taboos.

Sasha Baron Cohen.  I loved his Ali G movies, as well as the Borat one.  The last few movies haven't been so good tho, I hope he isn't losing his touch!  He used to be so funny when he was doing his Ali G act, but his last movie was just over the top. 

I felt like he was trying too hard, while with his other movies... well, everything seemed more natural.  Like he was naturally funny without even trying and that was wonderful! He is still one of my favorite British comedians tho :)  I like the fact he isn't afraid about censorship or playing around with taboos.

I thought of so many comedians when I read the title of this thread. But Sasha Baron Cohen is definitely one of my favorite. I don't think I've ever disliked a movie of his. All of them were hilarious in my opinion.  :laugh:

Oh, Borat... ha! :) I was absolutely mesmerised by that movie. It really pushed things hard past a lot of limits. It was hilarious, touching and disturbing all in one. As soon as I hear that name, immediately those outrageous green swimming trunks come to my mind.

I remember Ali G from many years ago. Unfortunately, they didn't repeat the show here in Australia and I can't recall it clearly any more. I just remember big sunglasses and some excellent jokes.

• 2 weeks later...

I love watching Adam Sandler's comedy films and also Jim Carrey's movies. They both have distinct performances and acting style as well as different ways to make people laugh. They are both natural comedians and always give justice to every character they portray in their tons of films. Both of them crack me up each time I get to watch them on the screen. :grin:

For me, it has to be Leslie Nielsen. His movies have made me laugh harder then any other comedy actors. Another great one in my opinion is Chevy Chase. His Christmas Vacation movies are true classics of this genre.

I think Dave Chappelle was a really gifted comedian. It's a real shame he called it quits so early in his career. His stand up has made me laugh harder that anybody else's and his show remains one of my all-time favourites to this day.

I think Dave Chappelle was a really gifted comedian. It's a real shame he called it quits so early in his career. His stand up has made me laugh harder that anybody else's and his show remains one of my all-time favourites to this day.

I love his humor too! What did happen to him? I loved how he could pull off making fun of sensitive topics. I'm usually offended when a comedian takes things to far, but I always felt Dave Chapelle knew just which topics were ok and which were off limits.