Linguaholic

What language will be next? Please VOTE!

I think it is best to slowly increase the number of subforums on linguaholic.com. It does not make sense to create 100's of subforums (for every language that comes to mind) as the activity in those forums would be far too low and having empty forums all around is not exactly a good thing to have in a forum:=) So please, dear language learners, choose one of the above languages, and the winner will get a new subforum (with all the subcategories like grammar, teaching, vocabulary and so on).

Voting will be up for the next two weeks.  :wacky:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Well, I'm really torn and I think I'll abstain for now. I'd love to see a Thai subforum, but as far as I know there aren't really any members here other than me that are learning Thai (and I haven't really started yet, to be honest) so it could be rather empty.

I think Korean, French and Italian seem to be the most reasonable choices, since many people study those languages.

You are probably right Czarownica. There are not many people here (yet) that are studying Thai. However, I am pretty sure you are not the only one that is interested in it. BWL probably even speaks some Thai. However, we might integrate that subforum later! Let the community decide on this one.

I know it's not one of the above options, but I'd really love to learn Russian... Perhaps this could be an option for future expansions if there's enough interest?

For now, I voted French, thinking it's one of the more popular modern languages; or at least in Britain, in schools, they tend to teach Spanish, French or German: one or more of those main 3, meaning it's more likely to find people to post in topics on these languages. It depends more on where most of the users are from though?

I was thinking it'd be better to build up the forum with well-known languages that'll provoke a lot of response, before moving on to less 'popular' languages, and then inspiring the influx of people to learn them...

From the options given, I think it would be great to either include Italian or French.

I learnt French in school for a few years in middle school, but it was pretty basic and to be honest I don't even remember it much.

Other than that I would love to learn a bit of Italian since I'm a huge fan of Assassin's Creed series and they all speak Italian in it so I picked up a few words from there. :P

For now, I voted French, thinking it's one of the more popular modern languages; or at least in Britain, in schools, they tend to teach Spanish, French or German: one or more of those main 3, meaning it's more likely to find people to post in topics on these languages. It depends more on where most of the users are from though?

I was thinking it'd be better to build up the forum with well-known languages that'll provoke a lot of response, before moving on to less 'popular' languages, and then inspiring the influx of people to learn them...

I agree completely on both points.  French is also one of the major languages taught in the U.S., alongside Spanish and German.  So you would likely draw some U.S. members who are studying the language as well. 

With French being so popular for study,  I think people would take it as a given that it would have its own separate forum. 

If there was a fourth language I would be interested in learning, it would probably be Korean. However, I think French would attract a bigger crowd, since it's spoken in multiple countries. In addition, I know that a lot of high schools in my country have French available for study. I'm sure we'd be more likely to find French speakers than any of the other languages listed on the poll.

It is all just a matter of time anyway. Rest assured that I will open up many more subforums. Eventually there are going to be subforums for many many other languages. As you mentioned already, French might be the more reasonable choice at the moment. Ironically, in the very beginning of linguaholic.com, there was a french subforum, but at that time nobody was willing to contribute. I am sure it is different now though.

Korean will have its own subforum sooner or later for sure..I can already promise that  :laugh:

You are probably right Czarownica. There are not many people here (yet) that are studying Thai. However, I am pretty sure you are not the only one that is interested in it. BWL probably even speaks some Thai. However, we might integrate that subforum later! Let the community decide on this one.

Well, I can get by in simple Thai but I am far from fluent.  :grin: I am completely illiterate except for reading some stuff on sign boards and common words! I believe there could be more members on this forum who are interested in learning Thai though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see a dutch subforum over here, I think it would be a great additon.  I'm currently studying dutch, because I will be traveling there soon and I might be moving there in the future. So it would really help to have a subforum totally dedicated to the dutch language; I have so many doubts and questions!

Suggestion: How about creating another subforum named "Other Languages". In that subforum, we can have members start threads about different languages. For example, someone who's interested in Korean can start their own Korean topic and anyone who can speak or have an interest can reply there. You can limit it to one topic per language and once that language gets a specific number of replies (or pages), you can create an official subforum for it with all the subcategories.

That way you can tell which languages garner interest. Also, that would give people who have interest in less popular languages (like Thai or Indonesian) an opportunity to participate in chats.

Dear Miya

Upon your request (and I have been thinking about this for quite some time anyway), I created a new section called "Other languages". In this section I already created subforums for several languages. I guess it is more structured to do it like this than just create one subforum for all "other languages". If you have a request for another language (please only request another language if you know that several people will be able to contribute to it here on linguaholic.com).

Of course, all of those "mini-forums" under "other languages" can become regular forums (with all the subcategories that major languages have) as soon as there is a considerable amount of posts in it.

Hopefully this is, after all, what you were looking for Miya. If there is anything else you would like to see on linguaholic.com, please make another requests so that we can discuss about it :=)

regards

M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that it's best to slowly increase and expand so that people don't feel too overwhelmed. There's already so much going on that I feel like I am missing out. I'm not learning Chinese and I am missing out on all of the fun in those forums!  :love:

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely a paid passenger on the French train. I would love to get a better grasp on learning the language in a more casual conversation style than the traditional one. For some reason that has been the language stuck in my craw!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...