Linguaholic

Multiple languages at once

Is anyone ambitious enough to work on studying several languages at once?  I tried before, honestly, but I couldn't keep up with it.  I started mixing up sentences into weird combinations of the ones I was studying.

I think it would be wiser if I just stuck with one or two at a time, and the latter only when I'm comfortable with one of them.

I think you can't really be fluent in 1 language if you study more than 1 language simultaneously, so I think it would be best to just concentrate on studying 1 language until you become fluent in it before moving on to another language. However, you can look up individual words and their meanings in as many languages as you want, but if you want to be a fluent speaker, just concentrate on 1 language only.

I want to try and do this but something tells me it's going to be too much. Sometimes I mix up Portuguese and Spanish and I've never even attempted to learn Spanish! I just seemed to have picked up on it. So god help me if I was actually learning 2 languages at the same time! haha. I don't think it would go well!

Some people are good at multi-tasking and can handle learning two languages at once. I tried to pull the same effect but I failed miserably. I tried to learn German alongside Dutch in the past thinking they would be similar in syntax and pronunciation; needless to say, learning two languages at once no matter how related they are does not work for me.

Trying to learn two things all at once is possible if your understanding of either languages is already high or if you've gone past the initial stages of language learning. Trying to learn two different languages at the same time can be very confusing for the learner and might burn the learner out. I don't want to suffer from language learning burn outs so I focus on one language at a time.

I think it is hard to learn multiple languages at once. It would have been possible when we were kids. Nowadays I don't think I have that much patience  :wacky:. But still I try to learn as many as possible. But only one at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never try that to be honest, I think it's hard to learn one language, so two at the same time? What would be the point in that? Sure, in school that happens, but that's when we are full-time students.

Yeah, I was even considering danish and Swedish once. I had started Swedish but then had a need to learn danish and I planned to keep them both up, but it just didn't work out. Not that learning Swedish didn't assist my danish, but not both at once.

I'm a pretty good multi-tasker, and the languages I am learning now are so drastically different that I am going to attempt to study them both at once, but there's definitely a chance that I'll get confused and have to focus on one at a time! Time will tell I suppose...

Learning multiple languages at once is definitely a hard task, but not impossible. I myself know 4 languages and combining them is not that hard once you set your mind to it. The only difficulty I have is using one of those 4 that I have not used for a long time, and I usually require a few days to re-accommodate to it.

I'm taking this on with Japanese and Russian at the moment. I am not intending on rushing this process as I believe staying consistent with the time I spend on each language is committed to each week, and I have kept myself motivated with many small rewards along the way. The final reward will come when I travel in a couple of years to Japan, and make my way over the course of 3-4 months to Russia. I did want to try and tackle a little conversational mandarin, which I have tried to learn previously, but I have settled on these two, especially as i have work colleagues who are fluent in one or both of these languages I can practice with. If i didn't have that support, I probably wouldn't be able to persist with learning 2 languages at once.