Linguaholic

Puns are a fun way to learn!

I remember when I was still trying to learn English that I was amazed by puns. I thought puns were hilarious. I loved that if you substitute one word and insert it with a similar word the sentence would take on a different meaning. I even enjoyed making my own puns and it helped me retain the meaning of words. Do you think puns are fun too?

• 3 weeks later...

I really agree with the poster above, when you make a post on a topic like this you are actually expected to give some examples, because most folks here are interested in learning and practicing the language. 

Next time you create a post like this, please include EXAMPLES.  So everyone knows what you are talking about and everyone can just chip in and add more info to the conversation.  That way we will all learn something new :) After all this is the point of this kind of forums :)  We are all here to learn and practice the language.

In general I have to say that I do get a kick out of puns and also double entendres. However, I don't know that I can think of a way that they would be a good tool to help you learn a new language. I would love to see some examples of what you are talking about.

I never liked puns. I think they are a bit too simplistic and corny, but they are okay with me in small doses or if it's in the right type of show. My favorite example of this would be the old batman TV show which used a lot of puns in their dialogue, and it fit the show because it was meant to be campy and silly. I just hate it when it's done too lazily such as holding an egg and saying eggcellent then snickering.