Linguaholic

How important is correct grammar to you?

Medza

I don't really think you need to have perfect grammar, but you certainly need to be able to keep your thoughts organized correctly. I know my grammar is not perfect in any form so I would never make any comments on anybody else's.

In terms of learning a language, correct grammar usage is of the utmost importance.  I think that slight exceptions in grammar can be given in between native speakers, however.  Perfect grammar is pretty much impossible to have!

It is pretty important to me. On the other hand, I also sometimes let it go especially if the locals are speaking their own way. Obviously even native speakers make mistakes in grammar. I try to stick with good grammar most of the time. I also try to speak correctly in English, so it only makes sense to continue in any other language. I try not to stress out about it too much, but it is a big topic for me when I'm learning a language.

I think correct grammar is not very important when you chat with friends. We have a Skype chat with a bunch of friends and I do not think it is very important to use correct grammar there. You would not wear professional attire and act professionally when you hang out with friends. I think it is only important when you write papers for school or you interact with people you do not know online. It is certainly very important to do it at the work place.

My importance level goes. Was i understood? -> Did i speak fast enough? (so not to slow the conversation down too much) -> Was i correct grammatically? -> How was my accent?

Grammar is important but grammar can cripple language learners into inaction which is worse than actually messing up the grammar.

That's a good point John, some people are ashamed of their accents or their errors and they don't speak and in that way they cannot learn. So it shouldn't mind if you're making errors as long as someone can correct you and you're learning.

Grammar is pretty important for English speakers. For those learning new languages, grammar can sometimes be easy to learn or can be difficult depending on the language you are trying to learn. Anyway, before learning grammar, you should first learn how to construct sentences with the language you are trying to learn. You will learn to improve your grammar eventually when you can already understand the language.

Correct grammar is very important to me especially because I teach children who are just learning English to speak, read, and write.  I make sure that I help them fix their mistakes because I want to teach them to talk well rather than make mistakes from the get go. 

My sister will interrupt you if you make a grammatical error and fix it for you while you are speaking which I believe is worse than a grammar error itself.

Speaking correct grammar, is important to me. However it does not mean everything to me, as there are times when I will not be using correct grammar. Times such as me texting or doing something that does not require me to us correct grammar.

Grammar is very important to me. I usually check myself and other people's grammar because we were always taught to check grammar when we were kids. Correct grammar is very pleasant to the ears whilst erroneous grammar makes your ears tick.

Grammar is important to me but I have no business saying so, as mine is terrible.

I have trouble knowing where to place commas. I understand the basics of comma placement but, seeing as, there is a difference, in comma placement, between American and British English, I tend to confuse the two. I speak/write both so I am forever putting in and/or omitting commas.

My biggest fault, however, is I change tense when I'm writing. One sentence I am writing in present tense, the next, in past. It's a terrible habit to have, especially since I have a TOESL certificate.

Grammar is something that I take really seriously. However if I am learning a new language what I try to do is actually try to speak it first without much emphasis on grammar. When that has been accomplished then I will become fanatical about the grammar. That is just my way.

I recognize its importance in making yourself understood, but personally I think a lot of people are way too fixated on it. In other words, I think that people are way to focused on the form rather than on the content of what someone is trying to say.

Most people in this day and age use texting language, I.e. "How r u?" and "Y r u l8?". This might be irrelevant, but I just had to say how much I hate texting language.

ANYWAY, I am a poet and a writer, so for me, perfect spelling and grammar is extremely important. In fact, I find myself correcting my friends all the time (which usually gets me in trouble).  :tongue:

Correct grammar is very important to me. It has gotten to a point where I text full words and if I did not have a qwerty keypad I would go crazy within twenty four hours. What I love about English is how it makes expressing myself very easy.

I think knowing and being able to utilise grammar rules and the like is very important, especially whilst learning as to not fall into any bad habits, however around friends and family in a casual setting I would say it'd be okay to let the grammar slip a little, as long as everyone can understand the message.

When I first started learning a foreign language at school , there was a lot of emphasis put on getting the right grammar, and it would take up so long that after a couple of lessons you could say one sentence, and you could say it properly in all tenses and so on, but at the end of the day you only knew one sentence. I think that conversational skills are much more important than getting the grammar right the first time. I think that you should learn to talk the language , and then all the pieces will fall in place. I think that this is something of a controversial opinion so I was wondering, what do you guys think about this?

It does not matter what language you use to speak or write, using correct grammar not only helps you to communicate more effectively and precisely but it also helps you avoid embarrassment. Around the world, correct grammar is an indication that the speaker or writer is an educated person who understand the nuances of the language. Grammar error can indicate that you are not focusing on your words or that you do not understand the mechanics of your own language. Incorrect grammar can often lead to sentences that means little or nothing. Some grammar error leads to sentences that means something just not intended.  Even if your grammar is good enough to make other understand  what you mean, constant error might give them the impression that you are not highly educated.   

It does not matter what language you use to speak or write, using correct grammar not only helps you to communicate more effectively and precisely but it also helps you avoid embarrassment. Around the world, correct grammar is an indication that the speaker or writer is an educated person who understand the nuances of the language. Grammar error can indicate that you are not focusing on your words or that you do not understand the mechanics of your own language. Incorrect grammar can often lead to sentences that means little or nothing. Some grammar error leads to sentences that means something just not intended.  Even if your grammar is good enough to make other understand  what you mean, constant error might give them the impression that you are not highly educated. 

I agree with you 1inamillion, if the correct grammar doesn't matter much most of the times in what regards communication, it matters more in social terms, people will think that you have no education, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall, proper grammar is definitely very important to me.  For one thing, I am studying in a field where it is critical to use language properly. Second, it just makes you sound more intelligent if you speak/write correctly. 

However, if someone is learning a language, there is much more latitude for error.    Learners are allowed to make errors; it's part of learning.  I think learners should do their best to  speak properly, or they could get into the habit of improper grammar and syntax...but it is more important to  practice the new language. 

Ebonics (the black dialect in the USA) doesn't count as bad grammar in my books, either.  It's a recognized language or dialect, with its own syntax and rules. 

So, overall . Yes - very important...but situation can affect the degree to which it is critical.

It's highly important. I don't appreciate people who are mean about it though. Like some would expect that you will talk like a native speaker of a second language when you dont have to! That's kinda frustrating.

For me, as long as the message can be stated and understood I couldn't care less about the grammar. I'm not really one of those grammar nazis. We convey to be understood and not be judged on how bad our speech is.

• 2 weeks later...

I think proper grammar is an absolute must, there are obviously those, who's first language isn't English and so to some extent they are excused from the general rule, but as in all other languages if you do not use proper grammar then how do you expect anyone to understand you.

Grammar is important but we must not become slaves to it. It must be kept in mind that the purpose of grammar is to help in understanding the message of the writer. So, in other words, the purpose of grammar is only in written language, and only to improve communication.

I suppose grammar both is and isn't important to me. When talking/writing english I think it's quite important and I generally don't like when people have really poor grammar or writing skills. That might be because I assume people know english..

But when it comes to learning a completely new language I don't think grammar should be the main focus for anyone. You can make yourself understood without having perfect grammar and I think that's the most important thing in the beginning.